No default gateway address

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been searching into this problem for quite some time now, and i cant seem to find any answer that works.

Anyway, for some reason or another, i was asked to change the wireless password for my router. which is no big deal, but thats when it started, My computer (has a wired connection to the router) cant seem to connect to the router (or maybe...interface with it?) I can ping everyone on the network, but thats about all i can do through the router.

i have restarted my computer, the router, DHCP is on, i have reinstalled my NIC's drivers, manually set the default gateway and IP and DNS, and all of them independently, ive -restarted- my DHCP services. all that fun you find in the rest of the answers i have found myself.

my computer is the only one currently having this issue, the router works fine for the rest of them, so that leads me to believe its just myself. Does anyone have any insight? did i miss something? ...and if there is any information i need to provide i will do so.

Try this from the command prompt Start => Run => type 'cmd', then press 'enter'

ipconfig/flushdns then press enter
ipconfig/release then press enter
ipconfig/ renew then press enter

please post back with the results

no dice, just goes right back to the issue...unless i did something wrong.

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\opl1nger>ipconfig /flushdns

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

C:\Documents and Settings\opl1nger>ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\opl1nger>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection 3 : unable to c
ontact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

C:\Documents and Settings\opl1nger>

it just...seems to have forgotten how to do things. and DHCP is enabled on the router, and on the PC. i really dont get it..

the question is DHCP enabled on the NIC . Remove all STATIC information in the
config and use dhcp for both IP and DNS.

I believe you might have enter the wrong IP for your DNS, make sure that IP is correct. There is something wrong with your DNS server

oplinger said:
I've been searching into this problem for quite some time now, and i cant seem to find any answer that works.

Anyway, for some reason or another, i was asked to change the wireless password for my router. which is no big deal, but thats when it started, My computer (has a wired connection to the router) cant seem to connect to the router (or maybe...interface with it?) I can ping everyone on the network, but thats about all i can do through the router.

i have restarted my computer, the router, DHCP is on, i have reinstalled my NIC's drivers, manually set the default gateway and IP and DNS, and all of them independently, ive -restarted- my DHCP services. all that fun you find in the rest of the answers i have found myself.

my computer is the only one currently having this issue, the router works fine for the rest of them, so that leads me to believe its just myself. Does anyone have any insight? did i miss something? ...and if there is any information i need to provide i will do so.

Follow this.. If you still need help.. just post here...

NEW! Tipstir's Network Tweaks Blog
Tweaks

If you can see your workgroup PCs in MY Network Places, then you have a problem:

To fix..

Under My Network Places
Set up a home or small office network
Make sure your workgroup matches what's in there
and continue to run..

Next do the following...

click on start
click on run
type: cmd

type: ipconfig /flushdns
type: nbtstat -r
type: netsh interface ip delete arpcache

Now go to your Network Connections
Right click on your LAN or WLAN
Click on Properties
Click on Internet TCP/IP
Click on Advance

Default Gateway should have your DG (router)
If not put the IP in there and leave the Metric alone.
Click on the Wins tab
Change Default NetBIOS
To Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP

Click apply or okay

Now...

click on start
click on run
type: services.msc

Make sure.. Computer Browsing is Enable and Started (auto)
Make sure... Network Connections is Enabled and Started (auto)

If you want your Router to show up under My Network Places under XP like it does Under Vista

You need to make sure SSDP is enabled and started (auto)
You need to make sure UPnP is enabled and started (auto)

In your router turn on UPnP (some of you say it slows down your connections, but I don't see that happening..

Now under My Network Places there is:

Show UPnP Devices click on that.. If you get an error, then you need to rebuild the dbase.

Fix is here:

Click on start
click on run
type: esentutl /p %windir%\security\database\secedit.sdb

This should this problem..

security implications

tipstir said:
If you want your Router to show up under My Network Places under XP like it does Under Vista

You need to make sure SSDP is enabled and started (auto)
You need to make sure UPnP is enabled and started (auto)

In your router turn on UPnP (some of you say it slows down your connections, but I don't see that happening..
Seeing the router does not assist you in anyway to use your Lan or the Internet.
Both SSDP and UPnP are known to cause security issues on systems and are entirely unnecessary.

caveat emptor -- there's always pros/cons/consequences to the choices we make.

edit: security citations/edit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back