No display on monitor from video card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,
I hope someone can help me with a hair-pulling problem I am having with my 1-month old PC. I have tried every possible solution to no avail. I have looked on countless forums as well and tried all the likely solutions but nothing has helped.

Okay, so I recently took my whole comp apart to install aftermarket NB, SB, and CPU HSF's as well as a couple of Thermaltake Spirit RS's on my 2x2GB sticks of RAM. When I put it all back together after installation and turned it on, nothing displayed on my monitor except for the Acer popup screen when it is first turned on and a "no display" box popup after that followed by the monitor going into standby. The computer powers up with everything seeming like it is getting the proper power. Fans, LEDs, etc. all are on and I get no beeps from mobo except for when I forgot to plug in the 6-pin to the video cards. RAM doesn't look faulty because I have 2 extra brand new 4GB sticks that I swapped in and nothing changed. Also, I tried swapping the video cards in opposite PCIx-16 slots but nothing happened as well. I tried using a VGA cable with DVI adapter on the end instead of the DVI cable I have that runs from the monitor to the card bvut hasn't done anything either. Tried using just one video card and switched SLI card to single. Also reset BIOS on mobo.

I have come to the following conclusions-sound logical?

a)Bad psu

b)I somehow fried both cards (seems unlikely though.)

Your helpful responses are greatly appreciated.

Specs:
E6850
OCZ GamexStream 700W
2x2GB Transcend pc6400
Asus P5N-E SLI
Antec Nine Hundred
dual MSI NX8800GT (SLI'd)

Does your motherboard come with an on-board VGA? Try connecting the display monitor to that.

Although your power supply is listed as SLI certified on Nvidia's website, it is on the low end of the scale as far as wattage goes. Perhaps when you added all those new cooling solutions, they drew enough extra power to push the PSU over the edge.

I had a similar problem with adding a new vid card to my system. people had suggested that it was power supply issues or system incompatibility. turned out it was a bad card. i'd call tech support for whoever manufactures your video card and see what can be done with it. my card had the same issues as yours is having with not providing a signal to the monitor. like they offered before try using the on board graphics. you may need to remove the battery from your motherboard to clear all the drivers out and revert back to your original config before the sli configuration.

Do you think both cards would have problems though? It just seems unlikely.

I did clear the CMOS battery overnight.

Also, the mobo doesn't have onboard graphics that I know of.

i'd say you then need to test another video card first. you could always buy one from walmart and return it saying it isnt compatible with your system. they always have people doing that. at least thats what i would do to get out of paying for a new video card. i'd first contact manufacturer of your cards and attempt to troubleshoot it over the phone.

Do you think it is blown or just doesn't has enough juice to power the vid cards?
If it is the PSU, it probably doesn't have the juice but I can't say for certain from here.

I'm going with MailPup on this one. Opps no I'm not. I think if the PSU is in fine working order then it has the juice. I have a Crossfire setup running on 550 watts.

First of all you'll need to place everything back as it was. All the SB, NB and CPU cooling has to come off and go back to stock. So far what you describe isn't a video card problem but a motherboard problem. The motherboard could be warped because of the extra tourque you've used to attach the after market heat sinks. If the video card displays any video at all when first powered up then we can assume that part of it still works. If the video drivers start to load and then the video card stops working then we can assume that part of the video card is broken, but we're not there yet.

Put everything back as it was and then test. <------ Yeah that's gonna be a popular solution!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back