no display on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameJunkie72792

I have an ati radeon x700 pro, its agp 4x/8x. after i install it i get no display from the new card or the onboard display. ive done everything i dont know what to do,ive updated agp drivers, and updated the bios firmware... nothing works! please help me...

chipset

VIA P4M266 (VT8751)

i can provide more specs i just dont know what to post..

Have you disabled the integrated graphics card in device manager?

I'm stumped, I can't find any info for your card on google. Does anything show up when you boot up the computer? Have you tried the card in other computers? Have you tried your monitor just in case it let go? Does the fan start on the GPU?

no the monitor just goes into standby, and yes the fan does come on, when i take out the card and try my onboard it comes right up. could it be that the card is not compatable with the chipset or the agp slot is dead? and i dont have and other computers that have agp, its all pci express x16...

GameJunkie72792 said:
no the monitor just goes into standby, and yes the fan does come on, when i take out the card and try my onboard it comes right up. could it be that the card is not compatable with the chipset or the agp slot is dead? and i dont have and other computers that have agp, its all pci express x16...

I just remembered that you sometimes have to download AGP drivers for a card to work properly in a video card. Sorry :(

GameJunkie72792 said:
okay still nothing its got me, possibly a bad card?

Possibly, you could RMA it, or if you bought it from a store, exchange it. Sorry it didn't work out. Maybe the next card :approve: !

Just review everything and make sure that the integrated card is Disabled in Windows Device Manager.

thanks for your help, you did more than i could have. yet if anyone thinks they have the solution feel free to post! (please post) if not ill just RMA the card

Drivers or anything to do with windows will have no impact if your system wont even post with the card in the PC.

It sounds like a bad card, but could be some other conflict. I'd also urge you to try with another brand/make power supply with nothing else but the agp card/cpu/memory. Sometimes there can be some weird 3.3v or 5v thing with the motherboard causing a race condition or amperage need that some modern power supplies do not support (Antec had a few series like this they fixed within a revision or two- dead as a doornail powering up with a certain combination of hardware).

I'd recommend yanking all PCI cards/expansion cards, as well as pulling all the ide cables off drives. I'd also disable all serial, parallel and usb ports in the BIOS, save this and plop the card in for last finger-crossing event of hope.

Basically, you want a cold start with just mainboard (with all devices disables), agp card, memory and cpu.. nothing else enabled, in the slots, drawing power or connected. If it still wont post this way, it's a bum card or conflict/incompatible.

Sharkfood said:
Drivers or anything to do with windows will have no impact if your system wont even post with the card in the PC.

It sounds like a bad card, but could be some other conflict. I'd also urge you to try with another brand/make power supply with nothing else but the agp card/cpu/memory. Sometimes there can be some weird 3.3v or 5v thing with the motherboard causing a race condition or amperage need that some modern power supplies do not support (Antec had a few series like this they fixed within a revision or two- dead as a doornail powering up with a certain combination of hardware).

I'd recommend yanking all PCI cards/expansion cards, as well as pulling all the ide cables off drives. I'd also disable all serial, parallel and usb ports in the BIOS, save this and plop the card in for last finger-crossing event of hope.

Basically, you want a cold start with just mainboard (with all devices disables), agp card, memory and cpu.. nothing else enabled, in the slots, drawing power or connected. If it still wont post this way, it's a bum card or conflict/incompatible.

Good Job, 1000 Posts!!!

I did that it still didnt post, i set the bios for a 1x card and took an old 1x and it posted so im guesiing its a bad card, that of which ati will replace because its brand new... i can say if they refund my money, i will be buying a nVidia ati's service is lousy. thanks for all the help on this.

GameJunkie72792 said:
I did that it still didnt post, i set the bios for a 1x card and took an old 1x and it posted so im guesiing its a bad card, that of which ati will replace because its brand new... i can say if they refund my money, i will be buying a nVidia ati's service is lousy. thanks for all the help on this.

If you need anymore help, we're here! Just start up a new thread following my guide here; https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic66390.html (I like to show it off ;) ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back