No Extensions to NT 4.0 Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

We all know I am sure that there are many, many companies and individuals out there still running NT 4.0. Of course there is. But did you know that support from Microsoft is running out on that product, has been running out for some time?

"As of June 30, NT 4.0 Workstation users will be on their own, in terms support, as the product will exit completely from the last "extended" phase of Microsoft's product-support lifecycle. This means that users will no longer be able to obtain from Microsoft directly paid-incident support and non-security hot fix support for NT 4.0"

"On December 31, Microsoft will cut the support cord for NT 4.0 Server."

More here.

I'm not 100% sure here, but my understanding is that as of the above dates MS will no longer provide proactive support i.e. the writing of patches and updates and the like... We recently had a meeting with one of our 3rd parties about this who said that MS will continue to support - but just won't do anything new... Just as well as we have about 40 NT4 servers here running all sorts of business critical stuff...

How would that impact Production servers that are public facing - like apache web servers, tomcat, etc? If another security problem of a serious nature is found but not patched then you'll be in deep S@:t.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back