No operating system found when cd drive plugged in

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently changed the motherboard in my sons PC. Everything went fine and the PC started up fine. I then plugged the cd drive into the motherboard and when I try to boot the PC it gives the no operating system found. I unplug it and every thing is fine again. I've made sure that the cd drive is after the floppy and harddrive in the boot sequence. Any ideas would be gratefully accepted.

Is the CDROM drive on it's own IDE cable and plugged into the secondary IDE controller?

Does the BIOS detect the hard drive at all when booting with the CDROM device connected?

Please fill in your system profile or at least post the specifications here.

Nodsu said:
Is the CDROM drive on it's own IDE cable and plugged into the secondary IDE controller?

ok, if the CDRom is on it's own cable, with no other drives, then it should be configured as a master. If it's configured as slave, on it's own channel, it may not work right. Master and Slave are per cable.

It doesn't matter at all.
For a single device on a channel you can set master/slave/CS any way you like. Got to watch the 80-connector cable plugs though.

Yeah, if you've got the cable plugged in backwards it will keep both channels from working and it probably won't boot. If you've already verified the cable isn't reversed, I'd see if you could dig up another cdrom drive (borrow if necessary) and swap it with the one that you're using to see if you have a defective drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back