No playback devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiney

I have windows me on a machine and had problems with sound so reinstalled all drivers for the card, the card is a soundblaster pci16. I have all the latest drivers for card and directx. The card shows up in device manager with no conflicts.
But i cannnot get any sound from it the audio properties are blank for playback devices?

I have unistalled all the old drivers, removed the references to sound in registry, uninstalled and reinstalled all sound related items in windows add remove section. anyone have any more ideas i can try ?

I think its registry related but where do i look :)

I had problems such as this with my SoundBlaster PCI512 as well. It happened when I tried to install the sound card's drivers via a "driver update" off of Creative's site. Apparently, it only installs the files from the driver that have been changed since the last revision and not the entire driver itself.

I'd recommend finding your Creative disk that came with your sound card and install the drivers from that, then update the drivers from Creative's site.

If that doesn't work, you might try installing Creative's AudioHQ. I doubt that will change anything, but it may work.

Could this be a hardware problem and not a driver problem?
Have you installed the PCI card yourself or was it already installed in the computer from new?

I had similar problems years ago with a computer when I installed another Parallel port onto the motherboard. The onboard sound chip didn't like it. Nothing was showing up as conflicting however the sound refused to work.

To combat the problem I bought the same SB16 PCI card you mention. Installed it into the machine. Disabled the onboard sound chip through the BIOS and everything worked perfectly.

Don't know if this will help in your situation but it is something to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back