Not open for further replies.
Ok, building this computer for a friend, and the specs are:

Asus A7N8X-X motherboard
Athlon XP Barton 3000+
Corsair ValueSelect 512MB DDR 400
XFX GeForce FX5200
WD 160GB HD
CD-RW (not connected)
SoundBlaster Live! Value (not connected)

I have searched, and tried pretty much everything that people listed short of getting a new processor or mobo. So far, I'm up to this:

1 - Replaced video card with 6600GT
2 - Different monitor
3 - Different power supply
4 - Reset CMOS
5 - No hard drive
6 - Replaced ram with same exact kind

What should be next? Getting an RMA from Newegg? I would like to find out soon if I should send back the processor, because I think their policy is only 7 days for a replacement.

One thing I'm scared of is that it being the possibility that I broke the processor die while installing the heatsink. The stock heatsink was extremely hard to put on, much harder than I remember the last two times I've used this processor/motherboard combination. I do have extra thermal compound to apply if I need to put it back on, but I would much rather see if there is anything else I can do before I remove it. How can I tell that the processor is in fact working? From the sounds I hear when I start it up, it sounds fine, but I'm not exactly sure.

Thanks

Id say you've narrowed it down to the mobo or processor. A local computer shop may be able to test the processor. There is a chance you damaged the die but the mobo will usually give a beep code but not always.

When you say your SoundBlaster card is not connected, do you mean outside the PC and is not installed or just not connected to any speakers?

No, its not installed.

I'll probably take out the processor tomorrow and give a computer shop a call, thanks for the advice.

Took it to the shop and they diagnosed it as being dead, guess its time to do the RMA from AMD.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back