NO POST - with DLINK beep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedster

Well my main computer quit today. It's an MSI K7N2 Delta 2 platinum with an EVGA GEForce 7800GS card. Athlon 3200+ XP CPU.

It won't POST. No video at all.
I keep getting a long Beep on boot up - I have removed / reseated memory sticks, reseated the graphics card, reset the CMOS (by pulling the jumper).

The manual doesn't describe the DLINK beep code of just 1 long beep. The closest it says is 1 long beep followed by short beeps. I'm not getting short beeps.

I'm getting power, but no video at all.

Basically I need to know if my video card or PSU has failed and what the DLINK error beep is. I have a generic 600W PSU and the system has run for at least 2 years straight - 24/7

I got some beeps the other day when playing a game, but the beeps went away. I have a bad feeling the video card quit on me. Any ideas? I'm thinking PSU might not be giving enough juice now that it's old.

Hi Tedster.

Sorry to hear you`re having major problems.

I`m not sure what you mean by a DLINK beep.

My first guess would be either a bad psu/bad mobo.

Disconnect anything not required to boot your system and see what happens.

Regards Howard :(

Do you have a spare PSU for testing? If so, test to see if it was just bad power supply.

Don't have a spare PSU, but I did buy a PSU tester with a voltmeter adapter. I've plugged a voltmeter into the tester and got the following: Good voltages (green LEDS on tester) I'm getting the following for voltages on my voltmeter: 11.66 on 12V rail. 5.08v on 5v rail ans 3.27 on 3.5v on 3v rail

The fan on the PSU is getting a little noisy, but it's more of a nusiance.

The DLINK is a BEEP code adapter that plugs into the motherboard to give diagnostic beeps and LED codes.

I have a feeling the graphics card has failed. I'm going to RMA it.

the DLINK was giving me beeps everytime I was switching into a high resolutions on certain games.

Now I have no video at all. I think I have isolated the problem to the graphics card. I'm going to disconnect everything Howard and just test the motherboard, card, and PSU.

update

Isolated everything with only the motherboard, PSU, and graphics card.

I just noticed the graphics card fan does not come on at all.
and the power to the card is plugged in. I think the Card has failed.

Yep, it does seem the card is buggered.

Once you get the replacement card, please let us know how it goes.

Good luck.

Regards Howard :)

damn! Just bought this card... albeit used... however, the previous owner never registered it. I have submitted an RMA request.
It was working fine for a couple of weeks.

@#$%^$^%&%^*^&

grumble grumble muter....$%^&$%^ expletives!

At least my laptop works! Good thing I backed up to it 2 days ago!

update

replaced video card. Still no post.
I am puzzled as the error beep is the same and it is not listed in the book. I am just getting 1 long beep. I think it might be the ram. Can ram just suddenly fail and cause no posting?
I have no way of checking the ram as I have no video.

I'm gonna RMA the RAM now.

Hope this helps

http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=8852 said:
From a Gigabyte 7NNXP's manual:

AMI BIOS beep codes
1 short beep - Successful boot
1 beep - Refresh failure
2 beeps - Parity error
3 beeps - Base 64K memory failure
4 beeps - Timer not operational
5 beeps - Processor error
6 beeps - 8042 - gate A20 failure
7 beeps - Processor exception interrupt error
8 beeps - Display memory read/write failure [Non-fatal]
9 beeps - ROM checksum error
10 beeps - CMOS shutdown register read/write error
11 beeps - Cache memory bad

AWARD BIOS beep codes
1 short - Successful boot
2 short - CMOS setting error
1 long 1 short - DRAM or motherboard error
1 long 2 short - Monitor or display card error
1 long 3 short - Keyboard error
1 long 9 short - BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps - DRAM error
Continuous short beeps - Power error

Sorry to hear you`re still having problems mate.

It could be ram/psu/mobo/cpu. There`s not much more left.

These types of problems are a royal pain in the rear to diagnose.

By all means try another stick of ram and see what happens. If it`s still a no go, try another psu next.

Regards Howard :)

MSI is telling me that the AGP slot has probably gone bad to due a faulty video card. I have replaced the video card with a new one, I still get the same 1 long beep with no video.
I noticed with the old card I was getting beeps with some high resolution games.
I wonder if I can RMA the motherboard.
I have isolated the problem to either the motherboard, ram, or the CPU.

It may not be the graphics card. Pull out all of your RAM and turn it on. Listen to your HD to see if you can hear it booting up - it should sound like it's spinning. If it's not, your PSU may have gone bad. It could even be your motherboard. You'll just have to take step-by-step troubleshooting.

I've already tested the PSU. PSU is fine. I have a PSU tester and voltmeter.
hard drive attempts to boot.
The motherboard manufactuer says that the error beep indicates video channel failure.
I'm going to RMA the motherboard. It might be out of warranty, so I might have to pay $35 - but it's better than spending $60 for a new board.
I've checked out ebay, K7N2 boards are hard to find as socket A is becoming rare. I have no intentions to upgrade as my system does everything I need.

Update: I swapped everything except the CPU, I'm still getting one long beep with no video. I wonder if the CPU died.

Bugger, you`re not having much luck mate.

I wouldn`t have thought it`d be a cpu problem but you never know.

Like you said, you`ve tried everything else.

Regards Howard :(

Go for that CPU. Tell me what your CPU type is and i'll find you a new one if u like...

yeah, well it might very well be the CPU or PSU. I ran it 24/7 for almost 2.5 years straight. The RAM , motherboard, and videocard were all RMA'd recently - So I've narrowed it down.

It was an Athlon 3200+ XP CPU.

now I am totally baffled. I have replaced the motherboard, ram, CPU, and graphics card. I am still getting a long beep with no post.
I have tested the PSU with a tester and it appears to be ok. I wondering if I should replace it.

Tedster,
Power supplies have to be checked under a load inorder to call them good. Are you checking the voltages from the ATX connector when it is connected to the motherboard?

actually I tested it with a PSU tester. But the tester couldn't test the P4 connector. Turned out the P4 connector circuit was shot on the PSU. I replaced the PSU and voila! Everything works.

thanks guys.

Good going Tedster,
I'm glad you used a "real" power supply tester. I repair power supplies and I can detect no or low voltage, but I won't know if the repaired section will supply normal current until I load the supply

hmmph. seems as thugh I have no audio in my sound card now... I have has this issue before. I'm quite sure it is a driver issue....

Tedster,
are you sure your system hasn't been damaged by a power surge? Are you on a surge protector or battery backup system?

I'm doubly backed up with an UPS and a surge.
the PSU was old and ran for 24/7 for 2.5 years.
Plus it was a cheap one that came with the case.
I've since pulled the faulty card and I am running with onboard sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back