No power after shutdown ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer will not power up after shut down.

Nothing, no beeps, power lights, no fan , zilch....

I get it on by removing something and puting it back in like the RAM or wertical card the LAN board plugs into and sometimes even thats does'nt help. I can get lucky and when it one it will run until I shut it down because it might lock up every now and again being in the net..but it will still run for days or weeks without being shut down if I let it..

I think it could be a virus in the CMOS ROM and needs re-flashing if it is a re-programable chip..

or

the power supply is faulty...

Am I looking in the wrong direction..

NEC Mate MA90H

Thanks..

See what some others say, but I think you are on the right path by suspecting your PSU. Do you by chance have another one you can test in there?

Actually, I've got a few older ones that probably aren't the same watts but it should be enough to fire up some beeps or light anyway..

Thanks...I'll keep you posted

Paul

Another (simple) possibility you may want to check just to rule it out is your case's power switch.

You can test it by disconnecting the connector from your motherboard, then using a screwdriver to (very quickly) short out the two pins that the case's power switch cable usually connects to. This should immediately turn your system on.

If you still have the same problems turning your system on, at least then you know it isn't as simple as a dead power switch.

nope, different PS no luck as with power switch...

Whats the best way to drain the MB of any power that might be hanging around in the circuits ?

Because when I pull it apart it seams to clear itself and start again..

I'm scratching my head because when it's going it does'nt miss a beat but as soon as you turn it off dead..........

I have no problem leaving it on but sometimes I have to re-boot for one reason or another..

Well the other day I pulled this thing apart and striped it down to the motherboard and back..

I just got the voltage tester and checked the power switch and there is power going to the switch...

Where else should i be putting the testers ?

I can put them to the P1 connector but what colour wires am I looking for ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back