No power to mobo!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookiedude

Hi All

I believe my PSU may have blown up (really odd coz wasn't even on at the time!) and damaged my mobo. I have an ASUS K8V SE Deluxe, which has an LED in the bottom corner to indicate power, this no longer comes on. I have swapped PSUs and still nothing.

Does this mean my mobo is dead? If so how likely is it that my CPU has been damaged?

Thanks in advance

It actually could be a couple of different things.

How long have you been running your current configuration.

What leads you to believe your PSU blew up. Was there an electrical surge/brownout.

I see the following as possibilities
1. PSU - you said you tried another PSU (known working I hope)
2. Mobo - do you have another mobo you can try
3. CPU - I have seen this before with CPU problems.
4. RAM - not very likely but possible.

Try the following ( remove all unessential devices cdrom/dvdrom/hdd/floppy/sata/pci/
1. Unplug power from pc PSU connected to mobo. Hold in power button for aprox 60 seconds, this will drain any residual power from the mobo capacitors ( caps have a tendancy to work like batteries at times where they can have a "memory" and when power is applied they will not fully operate. ( I wouldn't have believed this myself if I hadn't seen it fix many pc wont power on issues when working HP techs support about 5 years ago)

2. remove cmos battery, or set clear cmos jumper and clear the cmos for a good 30-45 seconds.

3. Reapply power and see what she does.

4. try removing one stick of your RAM if you have 2 sticks, ( again unlikely but possible)

5. is the mobo properly grounded?

I have been running this setup for nearly 2 and half years. Came home the other day and no power (there had been a thunder storm during the day but nothing else was affected and its plugged into a surge protector). The PSU was a budget 500w one and did smell like it had burned out.

I bought a new PSU as a replacement so it should be working, have no testing equipment so can't test it. What concerns me most is that the power LED on the mobo doesn't light up and, to me, that indicates there is no power coming through the mobo?? I will try ur suggestions tonight and see if they help.

Thanks

Sounds like a bad surge supressor fired your system.

I had the same thing using a cheap surge protector as well. Your mobo is probably hosed.

When I had it happen, i had to replace PSU,MOBO,CPU, and 1 RAM stick. :(

Dang thing got hammered.

So it could be the surge protector that actually caused the damage? Its supposed to be a decent Belkin one, comes with upto £50,000 worth of equipment cover (though don't know how you could ever prove it went wrong!?).

I've been toying with upgrading to a dual core AM2 setup (new mobo, CPU, ram), my current mobo is an AMD socket 754 so replacing the CPU would be almost impossible!!

I would say if you had a lightning storm in your area and promptly after your PSU would not turn on that would tell me that is what caused it.

I would atleast try ringing the surge protector support guys up and asking them.

Well I've been in touch with Belkin and its quite a time consuming business claiming on their warranty, plus they only refund current market value, which wouldn't be much for 2+ yr old components!

Gonna try ur suggestions on fixing the problem, if it doesn't work I'll just have to RMA the components one at a time! Fun!!

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back