asus p4p800-e deluxe
intel 3.2e prescott
1gb 2x512mb kingmax ddr400
maxtor sata 120 gb hd
sony floppy dd
hiro 56k internal modem
chanitech geforce fx5200
envision eft720 flatscreen crt

Okay here is how I saw it happen. hooked all this stuff up turned it on and it worked. Got past the bios screen and to a black screen no os detected. Shut her down and came back a little while later 15 minutes or so. I wanted to set up the bios. Got to the screen for setting up the hd, and wham she went dead. Started disconnecting things one by one. And trying to power up no luck fans turn about one revolution. Everything is out except the cpu which I did pull and try a power up same results. Tried the thing about pulling the switch leads and doing a direct power up. same thing, my guess is a dead board or the psu. Any help with this would be greatly recieved. :D

yep, my first guess too, can't you try another (preferable brand name) psu on your mobo, and another cpu. or try yours on a friend's pc(risky!).
also trying reseating the cpu and pay good attention to the hsf mount with thermal paste.

Prescotts are power hungry.

It sounds like the psu couldn't handle the power demands of the mobo/cpu. I'd follow lostfaith's advise and try again with a good name brand psu and see how your system powers up. If you still have problems... then I'd worry about the mobo.

o yeah

okay I see I failed to mention my case and power supply set-up.
they are a powmax diablo atx case with 450 watts atx switching power supply. And I pulled the power supply and looked in side it becasue I am the type that does that kind of thing. The fuse was good.

Power dead

Hey it was the power supply after all. That is the good news. Some basic questions if someone could answer them. Since this is a new system can I use just a sata harderive to boot from? That is , it is the only drive I have now. Windows xp dosen't like it and keeps shuting down. I have tried to boot the maxtor cd and it dosen't recognize the external usb iomega cd-rw I am using right now.Thanks

yes, For sata installation: press F6 in the beginning when winxp is checking setup files, and load the mobo's sata driver from a floppy.

But how do you mean winxp doesn't like it? you can't install winxp on the sata?

Also remember to setup the bios accordingly (sata enabled) if you haven't yet.

okay I have the drive set up and am going to find the drivers I need. xp will get to a piont and a blue screen of death comes up and it stops. After I get drivers I'll let you know if it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back