no range on omni antenna, and wide-beam directionals out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I have a 15db omni antenna with 0 degree downltilt attached to a DWL-800 Access Point. The signal is only reaching about 100ft indoors, and not much more outdoors. The cable is a 50ft LMR 400 with direct RP-SMA connector (no pigtail).

The tip of the antenna is currently about 10ft from the peak of the roof.

would tilting the antenna in the direction i am aiming for help, or is it best to have it completely vertical?

**For the record, i have a cantenna which reaches the 400 yard distance quite nicely to a standard laptop internal wifi card, but the beam is too narrow for buildings on either side of the narrow beam to pick up signal. Perhaps 400 yards is simply too much for the omni?

Is there an antenna out there that is directional but has a wider beam (something like 90 degrees wide)?

The antenna direction is your choice. Feel free to adjust it any way you like.

Directional antennas with beams from 30 to 60 degrees horizontal are quite common. For 90 degrees or more you want to look for something called a "sector antenna" - those have beams from 90 to 180 degrees.

Nodsu said:
The antenna direction is your choice. Feel free to adjust it any way you like.

Directional antennas with beams from 30 to 60 degrees horizontal are quite common. For 90 degrees or more you want to look for something called a "sector antenna" - those have beams from 90 to 180 degrees.

Thanks would a 90 degree sector antenna that is 15db have less effective distance than a 45 degree directional 15db antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back