No Safe Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I'm new to these forums. I'm fairly tech savvy and can usually sort out any problems I have, I even help friends out with theirs from time to time. However, a problem has cropped up on my system which I'm unable to resolve, so I've come to pick your brains :eek: . My anti-virus program (Bullguard) has found a trojan (Trojan.Downloader.IstBar.OK) in a zip file which a "friend" emailed me, but it is unable to remove it. I tried to manually delete the file (including trying to move it into a new folder) but was unable to do so. So I went to the next step of booting into safe mode. And that's where my problem lies - I can't boot into safe mode at all. My system specs are:

Winfast K8S 755A Mobo
AMD64 3000+ CPU
1Gb PC3200 Memory (unbranded)
Windows XP SP2
WD Caviar 160Gb HD SATA (not in raid)
ATI X800PRO Graphics
Soundblaster Audigy 4 Audio

Bullguard has prevented the virus from infecting my system :) , but I would still like to get rid of the offending file for my own peace of mind.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Download the Pocket Killbox programme from HERE. That should get rid of the file.

It might be a good idea to go and follow the instruction in this thread HERE.

Post a HJT log, after doing the above.

I have moved this thread to our security and the web forum.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

File gone! Nice little tool that, I'm going to add it to my 'Problem solving' CD that I take to friends in need. Thanks for the help, HJT log to follow.

Your HJT log is clean.

You should`ve posted it in this thread, instead of opening a new one.

No matter though. I`ll delete the other thread.

Regards Howard :)

It doesnt work for me

Hi,
I have the same virus, and when I copy the address of the file into Killbox and hit delete it says the file doesnt exist. Does anyone know why?
Cheers

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

manta said:
Hi,
I have the same virus, and when I copy the address of the file into Killbox and hit delete it says the file doesnt exist. Does anyone know why?
Cheers

Open a new thread in this forum, after following all these instructions HERE.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back