no setting tab in hardware profile using XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

bedlam_4

I'm trying to retweak my drives now that the new XP OS is installed. I'm following 3ds tweak guide as I did with Win98. With XP I find no settings tab in hardware profiles. I followed the path control panel>system>hardware>device manager>right click on DVD-rom samsung SD-606F.>properties> this brings up the tabs General , Properties, DVD Regions, Volumes, and Driver. No setting tab. Why and how do I enable DAC?

Good luck to You all on the contest. I kinda hope one of our college or high school students will get the prize as they are usually the most financially challenged.

Hey bedlam_4,

This isn't related but I was thinking of buying the same DVD for my machine. Do you like it, does it perform well ? Pro's and Con's

Thanks a mil.

This might be wrong, but I believe Microsoft took the settings tab out for some things in XP. Why I don't know. Maybe they incorporated the settings into the properties tab or something like that. I have a Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1502 SCSI Cd-Rom drive and I also have the same tabs.

Check this out, I believe it might help you out with DAC:

http://www.3dspotlight.com/tweaks/soundcard/sound2.shtml

DAC-Digital-to-analog conversion is a process in which signals having a few (usually two) defined levels or states (digital) are converted into signals having a theoretically infinite number of states (analog). A common example is the processing, by a modem,of computer data into audio-frequency (AF) tones that can be transmitted over a twisted pair telephone line. The circuit that performs this function is a digital-to-analog converter (DAC).

Basically, digital-to-analog conversion is the opposite of analog-to-digital conversion. In most cases, if an analog-to-digital converter (ADC) is placed in a communications circuit after a DAC, the digital signal output is identical to the digital signal input. Also, in most instances when a DAC is placed after an ADC, the analog signal output is identical to the analog signal input.

Binary digital impulses, all by themselves, appear as long strings of ones and zeros, and have no apparent meaning to a human observer. But when a DAC is used to decode the binary digital signals, meaningful output appears. This might be a voice, a picture, a musical tune, or mechanical motion.

Both the DAC and the ADC are of significance in some applications of digital signal processing. The intelligibility or fidelity of an analog signal can often be improved by converting the analog input to digital form using an ADC, then clarifying the digital signal, and finally converting the "cleaned-up" digital impulses back to analog form using an DAC.

For people who didn't know :) I had to go looking to find out what DAC was exactly, now I know :)

Oh yeah, I'm a college student and believe me I would love to win any prizes although I think finding out about this forum was well worth it even if I don't win anything. Good Luck everyone!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back