No signal beeps after turning on the computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Specs

CPU: 2.4 AMD Athlon XP
MB: Soyo KS150 (<-- a guess from recalling when i bought it 2 years ago)
Video Card: Geforce 4 Ti 4200
Ram: 512 Pc2100 DDR

...With my computer, i never turned it off for 2-3 years. But ever since my dad told me to turn it off at night to save electricity, which was about 2 weeks ago, my computer just crashed. Last night i was playing counterstrike till 1:00 AM and turned it off. This morning at 8:00 AM, my computer doesn't turn on anymore. I turn it on, and i hear the fans working but no signal beeps, no nothing on my moniter. The moniter gave me the default warning to check my videocard and cables. (<--- BUT i kno thats not the problem because theres no signal beeps!!)

I received help from information from this thread: https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=106049#post106049

And mainly focused the attention on: Charles Hammond's post:

"If you get no video when building a system, you have to go back to square one.

First you remove all cards like PCI and VGA from the motherboard.

Then you remove all drives or disconnect the drives from the power supply and the motherboard.

With just the motherboard CPU and the Memory turn it on and see if you get any beeps. If you get no Beeps at all it is normally either the motherboard, the CPU or the Memory.

If you get beeps try out the video card and continue to add the video card and then a floppy or a hard drive and a CDROM and see if you can get that to work and then add one item at a time.

If you get no beeps at all it might be a motherboard grounding out to the case. This is the most likely and easiest to check.

You can test the motherboard outside of the case. I have done this before. You just place it together on a piece of cardboard or non-conductive surface. Do not use an antistatic bag, because the outside of the bag may conduct electricity. You need a CPU, memory and a video card to test it. Then you press a metal object against the 2 metal pins that the Power Switch uses and it should start a boot process.

Other things can go wrong.

Memory may be incompatible. This may cause a Unequal BIOS Checksum Message or no message at all.

CPU could be bad and you get nothing.

CPU could instantly overheat and the automatic protection system might shut the power supply back off or the CPU might just burn up.

No fan connected to the motherboard CPU Fan Header may cause the boot to halt immediately.

Improper installation of the CPU Cooler may cause a System Overheat Condition.

Ram could be bad and you would get the BIOS beep code for bad system memory.

Video card could be bad and you get the BIOS beep code for bad video card or bad video memory on the video card.

Power On Switch could be stuck or not working.
Reset Switch could be stuck or not working.

You can do the test outside of the case to save yourself some fustration. Sometimes it is a mounting post that comes up and touches the backof the motherboard or something like that and the motherboard just grounds out to the metal mounting plate."

I tried this part of his reply:

"First you remove all cards like PCI and VGA from the motherboard.

Then you remove all drives or disconnect the drives from the power supply and the motherboard.

With just the motherboard CPU and the Memory turn it on and see if you get any beeps. If you get no Beeps at all it is normally either the motherboard, the CPU or the Memory. "

I disconnected everything like told and i still received no beeps....

How do i check further what's my problem, how to counter it... anything at all i can do?

hmm

It seems like you narrowed it down to the core componets. See if you can put in a new stick of RAM. That might eliminate it. If that doesnt help, thne sadly your CPU or mobo might be damaged. Do a visual check of the MB to see if anything is broken (i doubt it). Maybe just try a new PSU for good mesure (unless your fans come on)

Sean

BTW DOes the power come on and quickly shut off? That could be your CPU saftey switching of the system to prevent damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back