No Signal - Digital, No Bios Beeps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerwolff

Ya, I'm having a hard time getting my PC that I just built up and running...
After finally getting all of the pieces I ordered for my PC off of Newegg.com, I started putting it together. After installing my Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and connecting the case wiring I fired it up hoping to hear some bios beeps. I got nothing no beeps just the fans start up. So I continued the build thinking that it might just be something wrong with the speaker. But after installing everything and hooking it up with my display I just got the message "No Signal - Digital". I checked all of my fittings and everything seemed OK. So I disassembled it down to the motherboard.
So I returned my Motherboard and Graphics Card for new ones and started again. I installed my motherboard and CPU (no RAM) and fired it up and Voila! Bios beeps! 1 long 2 short, which I think is supposed to mean bad graphics but that could be wrong. But after installing the memory I don't get the beeps anymore...and even if I skip the memory and just install the Graphics Card I still get 1 long 2 short.
If anyone could help me with this it would be great because I've been stugling with it for quite some time.

My System Specs are:

AMD Atholon 64 3700+
ASUS A8N-SLI
Antec SmartPower 2.0 - 500 watt
(2) Kingston 512MB PC3200 - 184 pin
CD/DVD Drive
Floppy Drive
150GB Hard Drive

If it has Award BIOS then 1 long 2 short is indeed a Video Adapter Error. I don't suppose you have another video card to test? If you've seated everything properly and are getting those beeps thats definately the place to start.

Well I don't have a spare graphics card...but I had also thought that something might be wrong with the CPU...is that a possibility?

powerwolff said:
Well I don't have a spare graphics card...but I had also thought that something might be wrong with the CPU...is that a possibility?

No... motherboard beeps mean the CPU is basically functioning

Alright I guess I'll buy a low end graphics card to test this out...I'll post again if I have trouble or if it works! :)
Thanks for the suggestions too, I really hope this works!

One last thing does anyone have any suggestions for a low end graphics card I could buy? My current one is NVIDIA...so I think I need to go with that.

GeForce 6200 for somewhere around $35. Or GeForce MX4000 for somewhere around $22. The ones I was looking at on newegg though were AGP.
Tmagic650's idea of a PCI for diagnosing/troubleshooting is worth looking at if you don't plan on using the one you buy in that system for very long.

I have a couple of old S3 PCI graphics cards and a few Radeon 7000 AGP cards, that I keep around for testing purposes

Are you sure you've plugged any required 4pin power connections to the video card properly? To have 2 bad video cards seems like an unlikely scenario. Check to make sure you're not grounding the mobo to the case as well. i.e have you installed the mobo stand-offs correctly, used the insulating washers if the came with the mobo packaging?

kirock said:
Are you sure you've plugged any required 4pin power connections to the video card properly? To have 2 bad video cards seems like an unlikely scenario. Check to make sure you're not grounding the mobo to the case as well. i.e have you installed the mobo stand-offs correctly, used the insulating washers if the came with the mobo packaging?

Well my video doesn't require any extra power than that from the motherboard. I used my riser screw things and I'm not exactly sure by what you mean by "insulating washer"...because I didn't get any screw like objects with my mobo.
And remember that I also replaced my mobo too, not just my graphics card.

Ok, well those were just opening suggestions. Some mobo's have insulating washers (usually made of paper, a disk with a hole in the middle) to prevent the stand-off/mounting screws from grounding some of the power traces on the mobo to the case ground. If you went thru your mobo packaging and the manual carefully and nothing is there or written about then don't worry, your mobo doesn't have them.

Make sure the RAM is correct and seated properly. Double check that the RAM is in the correct slots. Try running with just one stick.

Some boards have 6 holes for screws to standoffs, some have 9 holes for screws to standoffs... Those paper washers are never needed in modern mini-ATX and standard ATX boards. Just make sure you don't put metal standoffs where there is no corresponding hole in the motherboard... This is where shorts happen

Well I got a new graphics card, installed it and absolutly nothing changed...my first post still stands...Does anyone have any other suggestions of what I might try? Or what may be causing the problem?

Is my PSU a possiblity? Like the rails that give my graphics card their power or something like that? I'm just running out of ideas :(

Remove the mobo from the case and install the RAM, CPU/HSF and video card and monitor. Plug in all the connection from the PSU to the mobo and the video card if required. Make sure you have the 4 pin CPU power connector plugged in too! This is very near the CPU on the mobo.
Locate your case switch pins/plug on the mobo (see manual). Turn on the PSU at the back switch. Now carefully jumper (screw driver) the case switch pins on the mobo (monitor should be on). Hold the screw driver in place until either you don't get any response or your start to see on the monitor the BIOS booting up.

Well I did everything you said...took it out of the case and tried it...it starting running, but only the fans...no image on the screen...no bios beeps...nothing. So then I checked out some other posts, and one said that it could be the CPU...so I bought another to test that theory out...still nothing at all changed...Does anyone have ANY more suggestions? The only major things I haven't replaced at this point are my Power Supply...and I've been using the same "model" motherboard becuase I couldn't get a refund for one just a replacement. So please, please if anyone has ANY ideas/suggestion that would be really appreciated...becuase I am really dissapointed that I haven't been able to build a computer by this point :(

There's a lot of things that can go wrong when building a computer from scratch even for the experienced builder. At this point, the only thing I can see is to replace the motherboard. The power supply is easier and cheaper, but the motherboard may be toast once again...

It does seem pretty weird now, you've replaced the mobo, CPU, video card and still no joy! The only thing it could be is the PSU not putting out 5V or the 5V power good signal to the CPU. The CPU stays in reset mode until it sees power good signal. So either you have 2 defective mobos (not likely with ASUS) or somethings wrong with the PSU or the connections to the mobo.
You are sure you have the 4 pin CPU power connected right and the 24pin main connector is seated properly?

ASUSA8N.jpg

kirock said:
It does seem pretty weird now, you've replaced the mobo, CPU, video card and still no joy! The only thing it could be is the PSU not putting out 5V or the 5V power good signal to the CPU. The CPU stays in reset mode until it sees power good signal. So either you have 2 defective mobos (not likely with ASUS) or somethings wrong with the PSU or the connections to the mobo.
You are sure you have the 4 pin CPU power connected right and the 24pin main connector is seated properly?

Yes, but I double checked to for the sake of it...I turned it on without it plugged in and just got no beeps then plugged it back in and got my beeps again (the one long, two short - with only mobo and CPU installed)...I suppose all that's left is to try to get a new power supply...any suggestions on any that could supply plenty of power to at least tell if that is the problem?

Is it possible the SLI selector card is installed in SLI mode? Remove the selector card and reinstall it, see page 3-5 of your manual.

kirock said:
Is it possible the SLI selector card is installed in SLI mode? Remove the selector card and reinstall it, see page 3-5 of your manual.

No I don't think it is, I've tried re-installing it before and even put it in backwards, but then I got a red light go on my mobo...which was supposed to mean that I don't have 2 graphics cards intsalled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back