No signal on monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davids

I have a strange problem on my computer; I turn it on and it works fine, loads windows 2000 gets to the point where the logo comes up and the blue percent type bar ticks along at the bottom then all of a suden the monitor goes off "no signal". I have tryed it in safe mode and it does the same thing, it is not on the internet and have loaded nothing on so i dont think it is a virus, the last thing i did was resit the graphics card and also played around a bit with the monitor setup in display settings (as I connected it to a tv. I presume that has something to do with it... Any ideas?

Try unistalling and re-installing the graphics card.

"I don't think it is a virus" are you running any AV?

On that one Im not - because it is not on the internet, im always a little bit dubious of AV because sometimes when i do run it viruses still get on there.
I dont think i can uninstal it because i cant get into windows - i could trying hooking it up to the tv again! that is long winded though as tv is downstairs:(

Obviously AV is not as vital if you're connected to the net. This means it would not get updated regularly. Bear in mind viruses can travel on floppies and CDs.

Try this free version AV.

Can you put another graphics card in?

My Problem is that i start up my comp and all i get is no signal then goes into rest mode :s (orange light) and nothing else, the computer is still running, i know this by the neon lights and fans going!!! as i sed the light goes orange so it goes into that mode right away!!! checked all hardware is firmly in position!!! it works on this comp!! the one that dosnt work is a very very powerfull computer, could it be anyhting to do with the resolution of the monitor for the grafics card of the powerfull comp?? but i can't even get onto windows or bios, just goes black!!! this computer business makes me puke:

I know I say that a lot, but check your PSU, pull the plug of the PSU and monitor, put them back in, restart. Try different combinations. Or just pull plugs you definitely don't need. It could be that the load on the power strip is too much and there's not enough to provide for the monitor.

@davids
Can't you get into Safe Mode (I assume Win2000 has something like that, too)?
Change the video card driver there to "Standard VGA", do a normal boot (should work then) and once inside install a new driver from scratch.

I got it working now!! all i did was take out 1 of my RAM sticks and it worked, could it be that teh RAM sticks couldnt work together?? both RAM sticks are the same make, there dual 512 CORSAIR PLATIMUN SERIES!!!

but i got it working but only with 512 RAM, CPU makes up for it tho :p

Yes I do have alot of problems! cant get into safe mode either, Later i am going to try reconnecting it to the tv downstairs (via the s-video plug) see if i can get signal on there. that free anti virus is SVG isnt it? I have that installed on the other one, seems quite good.

Did you edit the first post or was I just too dumb to read yesterday? :rolleyes:
Probably there's no connection to what you did, at least I don't see one.

Try Starting up in "enable VGA mode" F8 on boot up then enter into advanced options. this will boot using the Default Video Drivers instead of the other drivers you had installed previously. This will help you rule out the video card as a suspect :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back