No signal with Aopen Geforce FX 5200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valor

Hi everyone,
I just recently bought me a graphics card on ebay.
Aopen Geforce FX 5200 128MB DDR, 8x AGP
Whenever I put it into the AGP slot and connect it to the monitor there's no signal.
I made sure to switch from PCI to AGP in the BIOS. What bothers me is that on the AGP slot there was a sticker that reads "Please do not use a 3,3 V AGP card on the AGP slot of this M/B. It may cause permanent damage". Could this be the problem? On the auction site it doesnt say anything about the voltage. Any help is appreciated!
Here are my comp specs:

[CENTER]
cpu1vb7.jpg

cpu2ss0.jpg

cpu3ec2.jpg

cpu4vi3.jpg
[/CENTER]

Thanks,
Valor

Zenosincks said:
Do you have a power source going to the card?

Not that I know of? Not sure what you mean. You can see the card if you click on the ebay link I provided.

Err, honestly, I can't see the card. Either the picture is too dark or my monitor is crap. Well, my monitor is crap anyway.. :(.

A lot of AGP cards come with a male connector integrated so you can plug directly into the PSU. The AGP 8x slot can only deliver a maximum of 41W or so (if I remember correctly), perhaps your card's maximum pull is lower than that. If you don't see anywhere on the card to plug your PSU in, this is likely the case.

Do you get any BIOS beeps when the card is plugged in and you try to boot up?

Zenosincks said:
Err, honestly, I can't see the card. Either the picture is too dark or my monitor is crap. Well, my monitor is crap anyway.. :(.

The picture is pretty big, it may take a while to load. Maybe you should bump up the brightness on your monitor?

Zenosincks said:
A lot of AGP cards come with a male connector integrated so you can plug directly into the PSU. The AGP 8x slot can only deliver a maximum of 41W or so (if I remember correctly), perhaps your card's maximum pull is lower than that. If you don't see anywhere on the card to plug your PSU in, this is likely the case.

The card has no direct PSU connector. From what I can tell it only goes into the AGP slot and thats it. Why would the card not be able to get its power being 8x?

Zenosincks said:
Do you get any BIOS beeps when the card is plugged in and you try to boot up?

No. The comp boots regularly, just no signal gets to the monitor.

Doesn't matter what the brightness on my old CRT is, it's not going to display it. Take my word for it, it's crap ;).

Why would the card not be able to get its power being 8x?

There are plenty of AGP 8x cards that require a direct line to the PSU for additional power.

I assume you've tried reseating the card (if not do so), try it in another PC.

It doesn't look like the GeForce FX 5200 have a 12 volt power connector. It just may be defective, specially if he got it off e-Bay

Tmagic650 said:
It doesn't look like the GeForce FX 5200 have a 12 volt power connector. It just may be defective, specially if he got it off e-Bay

Indeed, we've determined that ;).

Very possible that it is defective, thus, he should try it in another PC.

Tmagic650 said:
It doesn't look like the GeForce FX 5200 have a 12 volt power connector.

It doesnt. So what? I had plenty of other video cards before without power connector and they all worked fine.

Tmagic650 said:
It just may be defective, specially if he got it off e-Bay

Would be the most convenient explanation but something tells me thats not it. I'll try to test it on another computer and Im going to contact the seller also.

Something tells me the on board video isnt successfully disabled...does anyone know about correct jumper settings?

Zenosincks said:
What motherboard do you have?

Doesn't it say on the 2nd screenshot of my CPU-Z? The model is given as K7S41GX 1.0., Chipset SiS 741GX Rev. 03. Oddly enough it doesnt identify the manufacturer.

I just tried a few more times to get the card to run and I noticed a couple of strange things. I actually got the computer to boot up once with the card in (beeping and windows sound) but still no signal. The other times it wouldnt even boot (no beeping and windows sound). Also, when the card is in and I have the monitor hooked to the motherboard, it boots up normally (using the on board video even though its disabled). Another strange thing to me is that when I take the card out, the comp needs two reboots before the monitor acknowledges the on board video. Is that normal?

Tmagic650 said:

Thanks. I'll try to ask someone there if my AGP card is compatible with this motherboard.

Tmagic650 said:
It matters if a video card has an extra 12 volt power connector and it is not connected. The card won't display right

I understand that but like I already said it doesnt have such a connector so it doesnt need an extra 12V. On the website it says "1 slot for AGP 8X/4X 1.5V", I presume the likeliest cause is my AGP needing more than that but I cant find out if thats true.

Valor said:
Doesn't it say on the 2nd screenshot of my CPU-Z? The model is given as K7S41GX 1.0., Chipset SiS 741GX Rev. 03. Oddly enough it doesnt identify the manufacturer.

Heh, I post 35-40 times a day. Sorry if I missed a very minor detail.

Ok, I got to try the card in another comp and it worked fine! The comp acknowledged it right away so I'm really stumped now. The only explanation that I can still come up with it that I need to change something manually on my motherboard such as jumper settings....could this be? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks,
Valor

What card were you running prior to installing the 5200. Did you uninstall the old drivers?? The 5200 is an old card, so therefore it should work no matter what the AGP slot is rated at. Did you try putting the old card back in the slot to see if it works? As far as changing the jumper settings, you shouldn't have to putz with that. If you put your old card back in and you still have the same problem, your AGP slot died. Just like Tmagic650 stated, the 5200 does not have a power connector on the card. It's a "plug and go" card.
From the specs you provided above, it really looks as if you have an onboard graphics chip (integrated). You should go into the bios and make sure the onboard video is disable.

//

Valor, try putting the FX 5200 in the AGP slot, shorting out the CMOS jumper and then booting.

If you still get no display, try flashing your BIOS to the latest version (click here).

There is no information in your motherboard manual regarding a physical jumper to disable the onboard VPU.

sghiznaneck said:
What card were you running prior to installing the 5200. Did you uninstall the old drivers?? The 5200 is an old card, so therefore it should work no matter what the AGP slot is rated at. Did you try putting the old card back in the slot to see if it works? As far as changing the jumper settings, you shouldn't have to putz with that. If you put your old card back in and you still have the same problem, your AGP slot died. Just like Tmagic650 stated, the 5200 does not have a power connector on the card. It's a "plug and go" card.
From the specs you provided above, it really looks as if you have an onboard graphics chip (integrated). You should go into the bios and make sure the onboard video is disable.

I did not use a videocard beforehand because as you noticed I have an onboard video. When I tried the 5200 I made sure to disable the onboard video in the BIOS as well as in Windows. But to no avail...

sghiznaneck said:
Valor, try putting the FX 5200 in the AGP slot, shorting out the CMOS jumper and then booting.

How do I short out the CMOS jumper? Are you saying I should put in the card while the comp is still running?

sghiznaneck said:
If you still get no display, try flashing your BIOS to the latest version (click here).

There is no information in your motherboard manual regarding a physical jumper to disable the onboard VPU.

Thanks, I might give this is a shot. I actually am downloading the manual for my motherboard right now, but I guess I already have the info that I was looking for.:grinthumb

sghiznaneck said:
Tell everyone here, what is the problem then?

Yeah, I'd like to know... ;)

Alright i don't know how much difference it is between PCI and Win98SE, but when i first bought my Geforce 6200 256MB OC PCI card, after opening up my tower and putting in the card in the PCI slot, their wasn't any signal too, funny thing the problem was the card, i didn't push it in enough lolz.

Don't know what the problem could be on your end, hope you find the problem.

No, Valor, you do not want to put the card in the machine while it is still running.

Power the machine totally off, install the card physically, search the motherboard manual you said you were downloading for "jumper" and you'll find the instructions on how to short out your CMOS jumper. It's very easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back