No Sound After Windows Upates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi have recently reformatted my pc after having some troubles with zonealarm, and another virus program I was running interfering with each other and subsequently merssing my pc up. Reinstalled Windows XP no problems everything was working fine then after downloading all the windows updates had no sound.

I have tried updating AC'97 Audio Drivers.
I have checked the bios to make sure onboard sound is enabled.
Under Control Panel>Sound says no audio device connected.
Tried a creative soundblaser connect usb external soundcard, all install ok but still no sound. (even after turning off the onboard soundcard)
HAve installed the windows hotfixes for AC'97 problems still no joy.

Not sure what else to try even my mates are stummped on this one. Thought would try this thread for some new ideas, if not think only options left are to either pass my pc onto a pro or try windows vista on it which i dont want to do just yet.

Thanks

Dave

Have you gone into the control panel>system>hardware>device manager and right click on the sound devices and uninstall each one. Restart the computer and install each device XP finds.

Tried it but has made no difference, think will drop it off to my local computer consultants to see if they can solve it as think is far beyond me.

Thanks for the help.

have tried different speakers and that all plugs are fully home etc ? and all internal wiring is properly connected? i know these are basic but, they still can be overlooked. and reinstalled drivers ? can you try your card in another mobo/pc

Yes tried different speakers, internal wiring should be ok as was working before but suppose could check nothing has come loose through vibrations, have not tried earphones yet so will give that a go too, thanks

Been through everything now and no idea what the problem ran some sound diagnostic software that came wit the creative connect soundblaster, is detecting the hardware but not any of the other stuff needed to run sound ie wav, midi, direct sound 3d,mixer and mixer settings is ver odd. it cant be a hardware problem as the creative connect is plug and play usb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back