No sound from my mic

Status
Not open for further replies.

fragbox

I have an intel motherboard with a creative soundcard model number SB0570. I had this problem before I installed the soundcard and am still having it after. I have also formatted my harddrive and reinstalled windows.
I get no sound from my mic at all. I have tried using my mic port and my line in port. I get sound through my headset. Under sound options in my control panel my mic is the selected device and it is not muted. I have used the mic on another computer and it worked. I have no idea what could be wrong and all the people i've spoken with are clueless too.

EDIT: I am running windows XP home SP2
EDIT: My motherboard has an intel G965 Express Chipset

fragbox said:
I get sound through my headset.

So you do get sound then ?

The issue about sound coming from the mike jack, is usually the creative program (usually in the Start Programs) field, which there should be some configurations

Otherwise, you may need to download the creative soundcard model number SB0570 driver (or motherboard sound driver) again for your Operating System (presently unknown OS and Motherboard specs)

Remove the creative program from Add/Remove programs in Control Panel

Back to Control Panel, select System, then HardWare, then Device Manager

Remove any yellow querried devices by first expanding the plus sign, selecting it, then Remove

Re-install the correct driver again (motherboard and OS still not listed by you)

kimsland said:
Remove the creative program from Add/Remove programs in Control Panel

Back to Control Panel, select System, then HardWare, then Device Manager

Remove any yellow querried devices by first expanding the plus sign, selecting it, then Remove

Re-install the correct driver again (motherboard and OS still not listed by you)

Followed these steps and nothing has changed.

Are you installing the correct driver ?
(motherboard and OS still not listed by you)

Does the driver actually install ? (that is do you have a sound card showing in Control Panel - Sounds and audio devices - Audio)

The only other solution would be to again remove the program from Add/remove
Also confirm that you do not have any other Sound Driver packages installed in Add/Remove programs that are conflicting with it

Then go to Safe mode and remove all Sound Drivers from Device Manager again.

Then back to Normal mode to install the correct drivers again (?)

kimsland said:
Are you installing the correct driver ?

Does the driver actually install ? (that is do you have a sound card showing in Control Panel - Sounds and audio devices - Audio)

The only other solution would be to again remove the program from Add/remove
Also confirm that you do not have any other Sound Driver packages installed in Add/Remove programs that are conflicting with it

Then go to Safe mode and remove all Sound Drivers from Device Manager again.

Then back to Normal mode to install the correct drivers again (?)

Yes I am using the correct driver and it does actually install. I followed these directions and I still have the problem.

I had this problem when I was using my motherboards on board sound, it just came out of the blue one day when I rebooted my computer. The problem continued after I got the sound card, and yes my on board sound drivers have been removed.

This is really baffling me, I know this headset works because I continue to get sound from its speakers and the mic functions properly on other computers.

Ok so you are Not using your onboard sound, you are using an addon sound card

Go to System bios (either DEL or F2 or F10 or other - M/b ?) key, when the computer turns on.

Disable the onboard sound (is this where you have disabled it ?)

But really if you hear sound from your headphones, then the external speakers must be faulty, not the driver or sound card.

Can you check the speakers on another computer ?
Is the volume up ?
Is the power to the speakers turned on ?
Are the speakers themselves turned on ?
Is the wire from the speakers faulty ? (just check for pinches in the cable)
Have you tried another set of speakers ?

We need to be on the same wave length here to work this out

With Headphones in, external speakers Will be disabled

With Headphones out, using the same port as the headphones, External Speakers will work (unless the speakers themseves are faulty).

Regarding the mic:

Are you saying the mic doesn't work on the headset ?
If so then have you tried another mic ? And are all the drivers loaded Ok for the mic, in Device Manager ?

I am going to be away for the day, but a reply from you will also get others responding, so continue on.

I am using a headset(headphones+mic), there are no other sound devices (such as speakers) involved. I can get sound from my headphones, they are not the problem. Getting sound from the microphone is the problem, and yes the microphone works, I know this because it functions properly on another computer (as did another headset I tried).

And are all the drivers loaded Ok for the mic, in Device Manager ?

You lost me here, the soundcard is showing up in the device manager and the drivers are installed.

EDIT: Could there be an issue with my motherboard that does not allow sound input? When this problem first started I was using its onboard sound and it has continued even though I am now using a soundcard.

I'm finally back, no other replies, except yours.

I've finally become clear on what's happening too !

To avoid going back and forward, I'm just going to list everything that it could be:

Option 1: Your Mic is muted or the level is too low

Go to Control Panel -> Sounds & Audio Devices -> Volume -> No tick in Mute

Go to Control Panel -> Sounds & Audio Devices -> Volume -> Advanced ->
If you cannot see "Mic" in any field, Click "Options" -> Properties -> Tick "Mic" ->OK
Click on "Options" again -> Advanced Controls ->OK
Now, confirm "Mic Volume" is up
Click on "Advanced" under "Mic Volume", tick "Microphone Boost" -> Close

Go to Control Panel -> Sounds & Audio Devices -> Audio -> "Sound Recording"
Confirm that a device is shown in the "Default Device" Now click "Volume" button
Confirm that Mic has a tick in "Select" then close the box, then OK, then close Control Panel

Option 2: The Creative Soundcard may have its own program

Click on Start -> All Programs go through the list to see if "Creative" exists
If so, open it, and check all settings and any tabs (ie enable Mic)

Option 3: The driver may be disabled or faulty

Go to Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager
Confirm that you don't have any yellow querrie marks
If you do, then right click on the device and "enable" or update

Option 4: Running a basic test of the Mic

Click on Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Entertainment -> Sound Recorder
Click the Red button, and start speaking into the Mic (Loudly, just in case)
Click on the Stop (small box), then click on Play (button) with speakers on
Hopefully you hear yourself loudly speaking

If So, then there's one more Option !

Option 5: The program you run may need setting up
In Skype (an Internet chat program) You will need to set up the Mic (In the program Skype itself)
This also may apply to other Internet programs too, Yahoo, MSN, ...
You will need to follow the programs Help or Support on this (because it's live)

I hope I have covered everything
Very sorry for the delay, I was hopeing that you may have received other replies
I hope you are still happy with TechSpot
And I really hope the above Options fix your Mic !

Please reply either way.

Still nothing. My microphone is not muted, it is selected as the input device, the slider for mic volume is as high as it will go (including the +20Db boost), none of the programs for my soundcard make any provisions for a microphone, ventrilo is properly set up.

I used the test hardware options and i saw nothing on the mic input meter even when yelling into the mic.

Option 6: Hardware Issue

Forgot to mention that !

Sounds like your Mic port is physically damaged (not working)

I can think of nothing else !

Other than plugging in another sound card (with mic) and testing that one.

I have this problem with my soundcard and the onboard sound. Fortunately I have 1 year replacement on my motherboard so switching it out should solv the problem if its the mic port thats damaged.

For warranty scenarios, you may need to download the diagnostic disc from the manufactures website (most have these)
(motherboard and OS still not listed by you)

Although not sure if it checks Mic

Anyway, please refer to your warranty, papers and web info on how to return a defective part (or entire computer)

I'd suggest you make all backups to everything before you do.
Also warranty cases can take weeks possibly even months to complete, again refer to your warranty info.

I have exactly the same error which is now leading me to think that there could be something wrong with the chipset.

I have never been able to use any microphone with my G965 based computer, which works fine with other computers. I have tried everything. I even wiped my computer and did a clean install of everything to no avail.

Were you able to find a solution? I am considering getting a USB headset.

Finally a member who has decided to show their System Specs (and even on first post)
Hi decaalv :wave:
Please try this page for all your drivers and bios update http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/search.asp?st=pn&param=4006159R

I'm leaning towards Bios update.
This is a very sensitive area (ie the wrong update, may stop your computer from working)
Please confirm if the link is for your motherboard
Use the Bios utility to backup your old Bios info to disk
Then flash with the new Bios firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back