No Sound, No Audio Device, Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

gytarman

I have windows XP Home and my wife did a F10 restore to fix a toolbar problem not knowing what she was doing, I restored everything but the sound. It says in the properties "no audio device" but also says everything is working properly. I have AC97 audio on the motherboard and have made sure it is set to enabled in bios.

In device manager, it has no question marks or exclamation marks and again says it is working properly.

I have ran the "services.msc" , ran properties, the service is started and set to automatic.

I have updated the drivers from realtek, ran microsoft update, updated drivers from HP and still no sound. I have uninstalled AC97 and restarted my computer and windows see's it but still no sound. I have installed "Soundblaster Live" sound card, disabled bios and still get the same thing a I did with AC97.

Anything else I can do? I've been without sound about 3 months, please help.

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

It seems like you do not have the correct audio drivers. Go directly to the manufacture of the motherboard and search for audio drivers. If you have the driver installation disc that came with the board, use that instead. If you do not know how, please tell us what type of motherboard you have and someone here might be able to help you.

PS: Are you using the on board (if you have one) sound card?

This is from Everest, is this the right info.

Field Value
Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 05/09/2005-i845G-W627-6A69VM4YC-00
Motherboard Name MSI Gamila/Giovani/Neon Series

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel NetBurst
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 400 MHz
Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 2133 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel Hub Interface
Bus Width 8-bit
Real Clock 67 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 267 MB/s

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name Micro-Star International
Product Information http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_list.php
BIOS Download http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_list.php

Sorry I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed with computers. Thanks for your help.

Hey Tuant,

First of all THANK YOU for taking the time to try to help me. I followed the link you gave and it took me to a page that had links to 5 different servers with a file named "Realtek_AC97MB.zip. I tried the first server and it never loaded so I went to the second server and it loaded this and I was able to install it. However in "Sounds and Audio Devices" it still says "no audio device" and still no sound. Any other solutions? THANK YOU, gytarman.

Download the chip set driver from the same link. Its under 'Your System OS' and select your operating system (I am assuming its WinXP)

i have a problem with ym sound for a loong time now i cant hear system sounds or anymp3 file sounds or video sounds when i try to play sounds of windowns media player it says : Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly. and when i try to go to volume controle it says there are no active mixer devices availble to install mixer devices go to controle pannel , click printer and other hardware, and then click add hardware , and when i do this i see some yellow question marks for the following PCI device, video controler (VGA compatible) , Ethernet controler , PCI simple comunication controller, so i click next on one of them and it says for all them The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) , now i dont know how to check what sound card i have but in device manager it says under sound, video and game controlers it says as followed audio codes, legacy audio drivers, legacy video capture devices, media controle devices, and i m not sure how to check my compuer make but i baught it from mdg and in device manager it says under computer ACPI multiprossesor PC ..can you help me with this problem?? oh and this si a windows XP professinal , version 2002 serive pack 2

jermz-termz said:
i have a problem with ym sound for a loong time now i cant hear system sounds or anymp3 file sounds or video sounds when i try to play sounds of windowns media player it says : Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly. and when i try to go to volume controle it says there are no active mixer devices availble to install mixer devices go to controle pannel , click printer and other hardware, and then click add hardware , and when i do this i see some yellow question marks for the following PCI device, video controler (VGA compatible) , Ethernet controler , PCI simple comunication controller, so i click next on one of them and it says for all them The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) , now i dont know how to check what sound card i have but in device manager it says under sound, video and game controlers it says as followed audio codes, legacy audio drivers, legacy video capture devices, media controle devices, and i m not sure how to check my compuer make but i baught it from mdg and in device manager it says under computer ACPI multiprossesor PC ..can you help me with this problem?? oh and this si a windows XP professinal , version 2002 serive pack 2

All those questions marks under device manager means you do not have the drivers installed. Are you using your on board sound card (if available), if so please tell us what type of mother board you have. Or are you using a separate sound card ( PCI or PICe), if so tell brand/model of this card.

To check to see whether you are using the on board sound car, look at the rear of your computer. There should at least several audios ports (pink, green, etc) built onto the board itself. The PCI card will be very obvious b/c these will be connected onto several slots on your computer.

Open the side panels of the computer if you can easily identify these components.

To find out what type of motherboard you have, download cpu-z and all the information about your computer can be found within the prog.

Hey Tuant,

Went back to the link you sent me and went to "system OS", downloaded drivers, still no change.

Thanks, gytarman.

gytarman said:
Hey Tuant,

Went back to the link you sent me and went to "system OS", downloaded drivers, still no change.

Thanks, gytarman.

Re-install the sound drivers you downloaded the previous day from the site

Does your system still say 'no audio device"?

I'm reading your post over once more, are you using the on board sound card that came with your motherboard or the 'sound blaster'?

The onboard which is AC97, XP Home OS. I made sure it is enabled in bios becuase I disabled it to try Sound Blaster Live sound card which gave me the same thing, "no audio device" and no sound.

Hey Tuant,

THANKS for all your help, I took it to a computer shop and they could not figure it out either, they suggested getting another sound card which I did but it still did the same thing. I've seen alot of posts about this very same issue and alot of them were resolved by what you told me to do. The only thing different I can see with me and everbody else is that a F10 restore was done on my computer and most others just stopped working, or stopped when they loaded service pack 2 or stopped when the reformatted.

Again THANKS for taking the time to try.

Gytarman

load again your PCI sound card & enable it in BIOS.

install the driver (latest).when done,

go to device manager,& under sound,video & game controllers,

if AC'97 integrated audio (your onboard sound) still appears then right click & disable it.

reboot & try your sound using your SOUND CARD'S sound manager.

Turbo,

I thought because AC97 was my on board sound card that all I had to do was disable it in bios and install my Sound Blaster Live sound card and the system would automatically see it and just work. Am I off on this?

Thanks, gytarman.

if you disabled your onboard sound chip (in BIOS),then it should also be automatically disabled or will not appear (AC'97) in the device manager.(in some motherboards).

but if it does appear in device manager after disabling the onboard sound in BIOS,you will be having a potential conflict on which codec your system
will use.onboard or sound card.

disabling the AC'97 (in device manager) & let the sound blaster's sound manager
(software) do all the audio jobs will probably fix your problem.

Hi gytarman :wave:

Thought I'd join the party!

Now firstly I noticed that your Profile does not include your System Specs, you may wish to update that. (it will help everyone here).
If your computer is a proprietory one (like HP or Dell so forth) use that information in the Mobo field (including the model number)

Please put your System Specs in your Profile

--------
Next I believe you are trying to get either sound card to work (not entirely sure about that) But either way I believe you should try this:
  • Remove all installed sound drivers from Add/Remve programs and Device Manager
  • Shutdown your computer
  • Open the computer side cover (Hardware experience and antistatic precautions advisable)
  • Remove the Sound Blaster PCI card (or what ever the plugged in sound card is)
  • Turn the computer back on
  • Go back to CMOS, and re-enable the onboard sound
  • Start your computer back up
  • Re-install the onboard sound drivers (note this is where System Specs is required, to confirm correct driver)
  • Hopefully you now have sound
If you want to use the PCI sound:
  • Go back to CMOS (forget the removing part at the moment)
  • Disable onboard sound
  • Save ; Exit; Shutdown
  • Install the new PCI Sound card
  • Startup
  • Install the drivers (system specs, again!)
  • Hopefully you now have sound (again)

Edit:

Forgot to mention that you need to plug in the sound cable to tha apropriate sound card (ie the onboard one, in my first steps)

Hey Kimsland,

Thanks for keeping me (a rookie) on the straight and narrow. I added my specs but noticed something interesting, in my specs it said sound card not detected but I know it is AC97 from the past and when I uninstalled drivers and rebooted my computer said it found new hardware which was AC97. Keep in mind I only tried the Sound Blaster Live card when I could not get my onboard AC97 to work. With this in mind should I still try your first suggestion. Thanks for you guys who help us computer dummies.

gytarman.

Hey Kimsland,

Here is what I have done. I removed AC97 and Sound Blaster Live from "Device Manager" and "Add and Remove Programs".
I powered down pc and physically removed the Sound Blaster Live sound card. Powered up pc, made sure onboard audio was enabled in bios and it was with AC97 in the field, system said it "found new hardware", which was multi media control center and AC97.
I reinstalled the drivers you gave me from the link you gave me, ran microfoft updates, and still the same thing, "No Audio Device" in properties and no sound.
I re ran the specs link you gave me and it still says in Sound Card, Not Detected. I did this after I had restarted the computer again as it told me to. It sitll says device is working properly, I have updated drivers, no question marks by any of the drives, device is enabled and set to automatic.
With all the intelligent people I have had trying to help me could this be a problem far worse than I thought or one that no one has encountered yet?

Thanks, gytarman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back