No sound, no audio devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cardiaque

Hi, first off I should say I really don't know much about computers or rather computer lingo if you will...I know everything as the thinger, the squiggly, etc...but im pretty good with manipulating things.

anyway so my problem is this...I tried setting up a dual partition windows/ubuntu my cd was faulty and it didnt finish installing. I was able to access my windows for a day or so when all the sudden my volume stops working, working one second not working the next. so if I remember correctly I tried to restart my computer, could get into my windows was using ubuntu for a day or so (where the sound was working) and then decided to reinstall windows.

so here I am, lost all my info hoping I'd get my sound back and still no good.
Now I should specify the problem really...the speakers are on, connected to the computer but there is no sound, the volume icon in the system tray is not there, and when I go to the cp>>audio devices everything is greyed out.

when I go to my device manager and try to reinstall my device it wont let me do so...(I'm adding a screen cap)

And LASTLY (I promise) I've tryed altering stuff in BIOS and also I've done the whole right click on my computer>>manage>>system>>windows audio thing...ahhh well I'm not expecting much but I've seen you people on here seem pretty helpful, I'm desperate at this point dont know what else to do. help me please....I'll buy you a soda.

Attachments

• untitled1.GIF
    untitled1.GIF
    97.2 KB · Views: 8
you just need to download the proper driver for your hardware, try through windows update first and see if you get it.

if not use something like PC Wizard 2008 to determine your audio hardware, then google for the driver from there.

yeaahhh thats what i figured...but thing is like i said i dont know much about computers and what not i dont know how to find out which is the proper driver...windows update isnt finding anything....any suggestion

Try downloading the drivers from your sound card's website or something...

i always download the driver from Realtek's website...seems to work perfect with me

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.13
Memory (RAM): 512 MB
CPU Info: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
CPU Speed: 2790.2 MHz
Sound card: Not detected
Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (Microsoft Corporation) | NetMeeting driver
Screen Resolution: 1024 X 768 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: 802.11g Wireless USB Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport | Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC - Packet Scheduler Miniport
CD / DVD Drives: H: HP DVD Writer 400c | I: SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616E
COM Ports: COM3 | COM1
LPT Ports: LPT1
Mouse: 3 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 70.5GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 67.6GB
USB Controllers: 5 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): 1 host controllers.
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: American Megatrends Inc.
Product Make: PC177A-ABF t546.fr
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 03/19/04 | A M I - 3000419
Time Zone: Romance Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. 'P4SD-LA'
Modem: Not detected
:
:

anyone? please....hate to be annoying. i do see its not reading any sound card....should i be worried?

If your sound card is integrated in the motherboard, then you need to download the drivers from Asus website. If it is not integrated then take it out of the computer and see who makes it and what is the part number and download the drivers from there.

Alright....So I installed this Realtek ALC650/ALC655 AC97 Audio A3.52 driver. It installed with no problem I restarted my computer and in the task bar I see a blue square with yellow circle when mouse hovers over it, it says sound effect, there is a volume control option when i right click but it says:

There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer go to.....blahblahblahadd hardware.

still no sound, still no volume icon in tray.
HOWEVER the Media Control Devices no longer has the yellow question mark next to it....seemed to install properly, but, cause there always is a but, I have two new devices that come up with a yellow exclamation mark: Microsoft Kernel Audio Slitter and Microsoft Kernel DRM Audio Descrambler, they come up with the following error

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because there is a duplicate device already running in the system. (Code 42)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

I'm sorry for all the questions....And thanks to anyone thats read this...

EDIT: I had to uninstall the device as it froze windows...i had to restart the computer about 5 times

cardiaque said:
Alright....So I installed this Realtek ALC650/ALC655 AC97 Audio A3.52 driver. It installed with no problem I restarted my computer and
two new devices that come up with a yellow exclamation mark: Microsoft Kernel Audio Slitter and Microsoft Kernel DRM Audio Descrambler, they come up with the following error

If you have an icon in the task bar near the clock that says Realteck audio manager, open it up and try the different switches in the mixer tab, may be some are muted or are turned off.
Also delete the new exclamation mark devices in the device manager.
To show the volume icon in the task bar open up the "sounds and audio devices" in the control panel and place a check mark near the "place volume icon in the task bar". This icon should have been placed there automatically when you installed the new drivers.
It seems that the new drivers were not instaled properly or are not the correct drivers.
if you have headphones connected to the front audio and to the rear audio, I suggest unplugging the front jack for now while you are trying different things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back