No sound, speakers buzz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McCoy

Hi, I need some help, Here is the situation, I just moved and in process of setting up my pc the speakers just buzz when i turn on the power, ive been told that maybe i need to reinstall the sound card but i have no idea. the sound worked fine before the move. also someone suggested the sound card could've gotten fried from static electricity, anyhow i have no clue what to do, any help would be much appreciated! thank you :)

Are the speaker jacks plugged in completely and in the right hole(s)?

If your CD-ROM drive has a headphone connector then try your speakers there to rule out the soundcard.

yes the wires are plugged in properly, and the same buzz comes out of the speakers when i plug it into the cd rom headphone connector. Could the 12v power pack supply have burned out and be the cause of the buzzing?

i'd suspect the power supply for the speakers. perhaps when you moved a wire of a commection became disconnected.

no, everything is connected properly, power supply, speakers to pc, and to each other, all the wires are connected properly, that is not it.

could the 12v power supply have burned out? or how can i uninstall/reinstall the soundcard, or check sound card for faults? I dont know :confused: once again, any help is extremely appreciated

Try a set of speakers that works first

You could try using another speaker set.
Because when they buzz in your CD-drive, it's probably the speakers that went down and the sound card is still fine.
It could be anything, one of the components of the integrated amplifier or the power-supply, but find a set of speakers that defenitely works, or try your set on another PC.
If you're sure you've got a set that works, then you can start worrying about the soundcard or the system.

components of the integrated amplifier ? where do I find those and see if there working properly? and the speakers were working fine a few days ago before i boxed them, this happened after i moved and went to set up the system, but the power pack seems to be getting hot fast and smelly, and yes it is the proper power pack for the speakers?

Well I ll try to help with this problem. FIrst off you say no sound so lets check somethign out k.
Go to start run dxdiag
go to sound does it list a device... If not you need to reinstall. If it does have your device information there test your sound card. also check music if yah want.
if thats the case everything is fine.

Still doesnt work. WEll haha is your sound muted!!!
Start accessories entertainment volume control. make sure nothing is checked marked and maxxed out if you speakers has its own volume control. If no volume control for your speakers then makea all the settings about 3/4 so you dont blast your roof off.

Still doesnt work
Its usually the green hole for sound... Older models use the ((())) force

If nothing still works. test your speakers on another comp. Extreme cold/heat with moisture can sometimes not frequently fry stuff.
hope this helps
james Edwards

get a set of normal headphones and hook em up the out on your soundcard. can you hear everything through the headphones?

no cannot hear anything out of headphones, when headphones get plugged in, the buzzing sound still comes out of the speaker

Why are the speakers buzzing? You were told to hook up only the headphones. Plug the phones into the speaker jack on the soundcard.

Did you actually try to play something through the speakers? Maybe the buzz is just some extra noise and the speakers would play the sound from the computer just fine?

Get working speakers first!

If the power supply gets "hot and smelly" that is already a viscious sign to me.
Like you said everything worked out fine before you moved.
So, something must have got broken down during the move, it's only to find out what.
Test your speakers on another computer, if they work it's your soundcard.
don't go try to mess with components inside if you're not familiar with electronics.
Ever build your own amplifier? No? Then don't touch anything inside the gear.
Things can get broken by a road bump, a component might have loosened from the board etc., but you'd be spending more time in determing what broke down and how to fix it then you'd be spending money getting new speakers.
Assuming that they broke down.
If you're speakers are good, it must be the soundcard or even a simple setting that changed 'cause the board was off-power for some time.
If you've got an older battery in it, it can happen that it doesn't sustain all it's features throughout the entire move.
But first things first, make sure you've got a working set of speakers before messing up your rig.

hmmmmm... bop

Im thinking theres several reasons for the buzzing heres a few
-connection from the extreior to the interior of your computer isnt touching
-connection between speaker and computer isnt connecting fully
-shortage
-your speakers are working(hence the buzzing noise) sound card not being picked up.

go to:
Start > run > dxdiag > (hit tab sound) tell us what you see. Its hard to fix a problem not knowing what exactly is causing the sound to not be heard.

If you sound device is not detected.

Open Device manger

open Sound, video and game controllers
there should be no exlaimation marks of any kind or errors. check each sound device. Checking the drivers for them. click update driver for each sound driver. If it cannot not locate the driver. CLick on rollback driver.. If it cannot do that, download the most up to date drivers for your sound card. Uninstall your current ones then update your sound card after it restarts.( should be promted after restart) also when you roll back your driver your prompted to restart but you dont have to ou should be able to see form there if your sound will work. Remembering though it will only be applied to what is opened after its been rolled back so you cant have a media player ready to play in the background while fooling around with the drivers.

Hopefully this helps... I m having my doubts its your speakers that have the problem then again....

That's the way to diagnose it

I totally agree with you Jamesedward123, that is indeed the way to test his rig/system, but that's also why I want to make sure he starts out with a working set of speakers.
Those can't be to hard to find, the most simpliest set will do, and at least it makes diagnosing and testing a whole lot easier having ruled that out.
It's 3/10 shot that the speakers are gone, but it's the first thing you've got to check-off on the checklist.
That's my opinion though.
Imagine he makes changes 'cause he keeps hearing the "buzz" and after several changes he finds out it where the speakers after all.
After changing settings a few times, there's a big chance you forgot what the initial settings where.
At that moment, he's got to find himself new speakers and do his entire set-up from scratch.
I'm just trying to be logical in testing/ruling out possibilities.
That's all.
And by the way, as far as I'm concerned, your help is very much appreciated.
First it's always nice working with others and second, two know always more then one ;)

your right beetle, another set of speakers do work, so im thinking its got to be that the power pack is fried, because it gets so hot and stinks after a minute or so, so ima buy a new one soon and hopefully it works, thanks to all who offered advice i truely appreciated it,and if its not the power pack you'll be reading me asking for more help :grinthumb

No prob...

I'm glad that I've been able to help out along with the others.
And indeed when some more or other probs occur...
...scream, we'll be hanging out around here, somewhere;)

Speaker buzz can also be caused by a bad ground or bad shielding from AC RF interference. Are you hearing a 60hz hum?

you can't be sure unless you test it. There are 2 types of bad grounds:

one is a failure to ground to a field (such as the earth or a power grid)

the second is a short to ground

I't's not worth it to me

I used to design and build my own PSU & amplifiers and stuff, but with todays prices it just isn't worth it anymore to go and find out what went wrong inside & repair it.
In a speaker-set everything is integrated, like on mobo's, many components exist out of SMDs, the tiny blocks on your board are SMDs, those can be a capacitor, or a resistor, a transistor, whatever, any component you can imagine.
It's very hard to go change them yourself 'cause in the manufactering process they're damped on the circuitboard, also not many of them can stand the high temperature when welding.
And as he found out his speakers failed, everything else was working fine appearantly.
So prob solved :approve:

well guys it turns out the speakers were blown, got a new set works fine, uncles set worked too, got a new power pack also, before speakers and the old ones didnt work. so once again thx to all

Hey guys , you seem to know alot about speakers
will i've just wired up some speakers to my pc but they get really bad buzzing , for example if i move my mouse i get a high pitched squeak
or if i open a program it dus the same but louder
my pc is windows xp media center edition
:S:S
Please help thanks

mazchaz - the symptom you are describing is common. the only times people complain about it being noticeable is when they have improper volume settings. this problem usually occurrs most with cheaper sound cards or integrated ones.

your volume in windows should be set all the way up, and you should be controlling your volume from the powered speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back