No sound when I play a dvd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I bought a dvd legally which I can play normally (with sound) on my dvd player linked to the television.

However, when I try to play it on the computer, it plays as it should but without sound. This specific dvd is the only dvd in which it plays no sound. I have unmuted all sound types on my computer but still to no avail. Help please.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Because this is the only dvd that you`re haveing a problem with. It has to be specific to this dvd.

Go into the dvd`s sound menu, and see what options are available.

If the dvd has dts surround sound, try selecting dolby digital, or stereo, if available.

DTS sound won`t play unless you have a dts decoder on your sound card, and a digital connection, either optical, or coaxial.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

It's also possible that that specific DVD has DTS audio (either by default or it's DTS-only) and the player software you're using doesn't have DTS support, even though your audio card supports it.
It has happened to me before: I put in the disc and heard only static, then I played the disc using a proper player (IIRC, WinDVD) and it played just fine.

Tarkus said:
Wash, rinse repeat for Dolby Digital if you don't have digital out.

Lol Tarkus.

Dolby digital can be played through an analogue connection, unlike DTS.

It can be downmixed to ordinary stereo as well. Unfortunately DTS can`t.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back