No sound!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malin

Why is my sound not working??? It worked fine yesterday, then today when I opened Windows Media Player it didn't work... I get the message "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly." Then I endedall other programs. Still didn't work. Then I checked the audio-thingy, which said No Device... Where the hell has my device gone??? I havent deleted any files, or installed any programs since yesterday, so why?????

ill be really grateful if someone has any advice...

Malin :)

ambivolent said:
try uploading the drivers for your soundcard

Well, if I'd only know how to do that!! I'm not the most technical person in the world, rather like the least technical... :S
Wow, I actually, I did manage to do this....But it didn't do anything...

When you say specs that is? (sorry for knowing nothing!!!)

ive never dealt with laptops but ill give it a shot, go to your device manager,
right click on my computer>properties>hardware(it will be a tab)>then click device manager, when the device manager opens up go to sound video and game controllers expand that and it should have your soundcard controller right click on it and see if it is enabled or disabled

(specs)they are the components of your computers buildup what i have listed below, also operating system goes into this catagory

ok when you got to the device manager what was the audio controllers name brand for example mine is Realtek AC'97 audio for VIA audio controller

hmmmm... if I only knew....
When I get to the Device manager, I click on "Sound, Video and game controllers". Then there is:
Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Video Codecs

I doubleclicked the Audio one (assuming it's the right one), but it doesn't say any other name thingy....

yea im looking up the specs you put up on your profile trying to figure out what sound card it runs, i was having similar problems with my sound mixer and i just had to re install the drivers, by any chance did your comp come with any disks labled mother board drivers or anything like that?

Well, I downloaded "System Info for Windows" to find the system specs..
On motherboard this comes up: (dunno if it's what u want..)

Property Value
Manufacturer Acer, Inc.
Model Lugano3
Version Not Applicable
Serial Number LXAAG05078630057132500

Chipset Vendor Intel Corporation
Chipset Model 82915PM/GM/GMS, 82910GML Host Bridge
South Bridge 82801FBM (ICH6M) LPC Interface Bridge
SMBus Intel Corporation 82801FB (ICH6) SMBus Controller @18E0h

CPU Intel Pentium M
Cpu Socket Socket 479 [U1]
Processor Upgrade Slot 1

System Slots 1 PCI

Memory Summary
Location System board or motherboard
Maximum Capacity 2048 MBytes
Memory Slots 2
Error Correction None
Name Physical Memory Array
Use System memory

Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

no problem mine was freaking out did that about 3 times in a row, now you know how to fix it if it goes out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back