No sound...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok heres the details....no sound on the computer, emachine....i crashed it did system recovery everything was re-done...NOW the computer recognizes the soundcard and all that (because last time it didnt and i kept getting that damn media audio controller crap pop up)anyway...so now it shows up realtek etc....but there is STILL NO SOUND..i ran an everest....here it is...

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name MANDY (The Carter Family Computer)
User Name Owner

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Sempron, 1800 MHz (9 x 200) 3100+
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Unknown
System Memory 384 MB
BIOS Type Award (11/11/05)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 6100 (128 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA C51
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (MRJ5C50N29878)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Realtek AC'97 Audio [NoDB]

Storage:
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
Disk Drive ST3100011A (93 GB, IDE)
Disk Drive Generic USB SD Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB CF Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB SM Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB MS Reader USB Device
Optical Drive TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552D (DVD+R9:2.4x, DVD+RW:16x/4x, DVD-RW:12x/4x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:40x/32x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 90514 MB (84922 MB free)
D: (FAT32) 4869 MB (2283 MB free)
Total Size 93.1 GB (85.2 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network:
Network Adapter NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller (192.168.2.2)
Modem SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP

Peripherals:
Printer Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
USB1 Controller Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller [NoDB]
USB2 Controller Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller [NoDB]
USB Device Deskjet F300 series
USB Device Deskjet F300 series
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device
USB Device USB Printing Support

What is the model number of the eMachine?
When you go to Start->Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager what do you find listed for the audio files and drivers? Do you see anything listed? If so, do you see any yellow or red flags on the left hand column?
One test would be to disable or remove the audio drivers you find there, then download and install a new set... you will find them on the eMachine site for that model, or you can do a Google search for the Realtek AC'97 drivers. You can also look at the audio chip on your motherboard, and do a Google search using the set of numbers you find posted on about three lines of that audio chip... or use the original configuration sheet that came with the eMachines invoice.
Once reinstalled, the audio should work... if the speakers are not defective, or plugged into the incorrect socket.

ok...

well ive checked under the device manager and everything shows up there are no error messages or anything like last time....since i crashed the computer and recovered the system everything is running great and now it recognizes my sound card, etc...i have also tried installing new drivers and even did the regular check for new hardware and drivers etc and it found nothing new.....i dont know what left to do...the speakers are not defective because they were working and stopped suddenly when a friend of mine used the computer and deleted a heap of mess the shouldnt have been....anyways and i dont know the exact model of this emachine because its actually not mine im working on it for someone...but i was totally stumped after i re-installed EVERYTHING from windows to pinball and yet the speakers still dont work...PLEASE if u can tell me anything..maybe something i missed in BIOS....PLEASE let me know thanks a million

You still should remove or disable the audio drivers and reinstall them. These are the important critical first step in fixing audio... it is almost always the audio drivers that are the cause... if you have incorrect ones, or improperly installed ones...
Using the current drivers, or going back to the next most recent version will fix 85 percent of all such sound issues.

The model of the eMachines is on a label on the back of the computer.

[CENTER]its a emachine W-series W3107....i uninstalled the drivers....went to the RealTek site, downloaded and installed the most recent drivers....restarted my computer...and then checked my device manager....everything looks good...but there is still no sound....this is the third time today that i have done this until i just finally crashed the damn thing...but anyways....like i said i did all that and yet it still doesnt work...wow this is one of the MOST annoying computer issues i have ever dealt with over something so damn simple....seriously....i mean i have done video card issues, BIOS, DOS, sound cards, CD drives DVD, CD-R CD-RW everything and never in my life have i had such an issue with some damn speakers....also the speakers are fine, everything is connected beautifully, power is on, speakers turned up...and i ran my cool little doohiky on the speakers to test that they work and they are like new.....i just cant figure it out for the life of me....please help[/CENTER]

if it is killin ya that bad, just go buy a new sound card, lol....it's always great if we can solve problems, but sumtimes we hafta admit defeat and go buy a new part, lol

Something is unplugged or disconnected somewhere... trace down all your connections... even a defective unit would be putting out some sort of garbled sound.
If you installed the drivers, and didn't get red or yellow flags or other error messages, the problem is something so simple you have missed it.
Look at broken cables, bad connectors, wrong sockets, loose wire on the board... something you probably did by accident.
You will find it with patience... or let a total stranger second guess you... it will save time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back