no video after windows loads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. I did something real stupid today. I upgraded my XP to Pro. I did the upgrade so i would not lose my programs. After this I had an error my ATI drivers were not installed so I tried to re install them. I kept getting an error saying I needed to switch to the vga driver before installing the new drivers. I did everything as noted, removed the old and did it manually as well to get all the drivers and keys. After that the drivers still would not install and kept saying to switch to a vga driver before installing the new. SO I went to device manager and there was no card listed. I went to the desktop and clicked properties and then went to advanced video properties and like a fool clicked disable video.
The sytem restarted and now there is no video after Windows loads. I have video in post but as soon as Windows start to load the video is gone.
I tried everything and then got the notion to boot the Install disc and see if it will reload drivers. That works up tp the point where it asks me for a password which I never set.

Is there anyone out there that can help?

Press F8 a few times after the POST but before where you'd normally see the Windows splash screen. This will give you a menu with several choices on how to proceed, choose Start Windows in VGA Mode (or something similar).

Thanks I tried that to no avail. I finally was able to get the disc to do a repair which fixed all. It even worked with my ATI drivers after that. I guess something was missing the first time around. So far it is working.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back