No Video at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

inspector

I am using a HP(crap) Pavillion xt963

I had on board graphics. I wanted to upgrade the video board with GeForce FX 5200 128 mb ddram

Of course I just plugged it in and didn't see the part of installation where it states remove old video driver first...(I was stupid)didn't read the directions...

well if you as good as I hope you will realize that in doing so I wiped the video completely off the computer somewhere,
So I reset the CMOS by removing the cpu battery, I removed the aux video board just hoping that the computer on boot up would reaquire the old drivers, NOPE...

when I boot in I hear a few clicks but nothing like I should I get a blank screen completely and since I can't see anything who knows wether or not I am hung up in cmos setup or what ever Kinda hard to solve a problem if I can't see whats going on inside.
any help is appreciated.
Inspect

No Help on this one Guys ?

I figured that someone around here would know how to restore the Monitor.
Without replacing a Motherboard... :blush:

So you have removed the new card, and reset CMOS and no love?

Go into your bios manually, and look for your graphics settings. Make sure it is set to onboard graphics.

Do you have the drivers for your motherboard? It could also be that you have removed the drivers for the onboard, and need to reinstall them.

First Let me say Thanks Guys...

Now to continue...
OK When I connected the New Card Thats when I lost the screen Completely Blank, so I figured reboot, No screen at all It is as though you took the plug right off the back of the computer Which I did check..lol

So then I figured OK I will just pop the new card out and then try to reboot and it should be fine, Nope...same thing Just Black.

I am not even seeing the Boot up screen at all nothing, Like it is turned off at the switch.

so then I figure OK I will try to reset system BIOS
well I unplugged the computer Open the baby up and pulled out the watch Battery, I do not have any jumper 21 That I could spot.

I let it sit completely over night and still nothing, Since I can't see anything I do not know how to do anything else to it.

And most of the time I can stumble through the most difficult situations or read about them and then fix the issue, not this time,
Hence thats why I came here to you guys.... :wave:

I do not have the Bios Files But I could probably get them...
I am thinking I will go to the manufactures web site and download new Bios
and Flash it I think that May fix the whole problem.
I will update as soon as I do.
Thanks guys for reminding me You know how it is when you get all rapped up in something sometimes and outsider looking in make the difference.

Sounds like a serious hardware problem. Maby something fried on the motherboard (possibly by a bad card or maby you psu couldn't handle the extra wattage and fried.)If it was just a software problem your pc should boot in with the basic 16 color defalt.(if no driver exists or there is a problen with drivers windows will run 16 colors which does not need a special driver.)
plug speekers in and remove the video card try if you hear it boot, windows usually makes a sound on boot.If you hear a sound try a new video card your's might be bad.If you don't hear it boot it's probably a motherboard problem.I once had a bad video card fry the northbridge chipset of a motherboard so it can happen. If it is a cmos problem you should at least get the motherboard boot image or an error message.

Hello

Well, i would have read the directions first. But, you can switch back to the old card(if you still have the drivers on the harddisk) in the bios, although i have never been in bios, I know it's there somewhere...

Hope you still have the drivers! ;)

sw123

I take it you've got a PCI FX5200 as according to the HP website the Pavillion xt963 uses an Intel 810e chipset and has three PCI slots.

I hate the 810e, it's the Devils own chipset with no room for expansion and it's usually what I find when I open up somebodys PC when they complain they can't run anything other than Office on it.

Ok Now here is the Problem.

I do not think anything Fried. I think that the Two drivers inside the Bios are fighting as to which one can win and neither one Can so I get the Blank screen with no more actions going on.

If I could get the computer to do a Boot I could repair the Driver issue By simply re-installing windows.Simple...

Ok I tried that too and nothing the drives light but I think thew Bios locks up right before it searches for Boot from A, or the CD Rom.
So I never Make it out of the Bios at all.
The Really sad part is I have another G Force Video Card in this very computer I am on now and It did have onboard, I had followed the directions way back then, no problem.

But for G Force to have all of their issues I will never buy another one look around people have complete sections on just their Crap.

I would go to the HP website and you were right Paula. But then they want Tech suport and the computer is not even mine or a main computer Just seems a waste to throw one away.
I can't figure out how to Flash the Bios when I can't get in to change it to boot to A and it is locked.
I have tried the lets take out the pwr supply and Bat to no avail. No Jumpers to hit. so I am at a wall.

Unfortiunately If you are unable to get into bios to change anything or flash it you will probably have to replace the motherboard even if it isn't fried.
The 810e Chipset on the motherboard in your HP Pavillion xt963 is known for problens with upgrades.

Here is a replacement motherboard.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136146
It should fix your problem and it has a more versitile VIA chipset

Here's a link to HP if you want to know more about your PC
General:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prodinfoCategory?dlc=en&lc=en&product=62764&lang=en&cc=us&

Specs:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=62764&lang=en&cc=us&docname=bph06895#N427

ps:.if you do replace the motherboard don't forget to buy some thermal paste for your cpu fan or replace your cpu fan.If you just put the old one back on without new thermalpaste your CPU will overheat

Thermal Paste:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&SubCategory=85&N=2010340085

fans for your CPU:
[URL=http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2010110062+1057708557&Subcategory=62&description=&srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxPrice=]

The graphics card drivers are on the hard drive. Try disconnecting your hard drive and try booting. You may be able to get to your BIOS to enable onboard graphics, change the boot order or whatever.

Also, if worse comes to worst, I think it would be simplest to buy another hard drive, format it and reinstall Windows.

Wow Thanks

I Realize those links took a bit to find for me.
Thank you very much.
As for buying another HP I wouldn't own one if you gave it too me.
So I will not buy another one for this older computer.
I will try the removal of the Hardrive and reconnection and see if that does anything at all However I do not believe that is where the problem is...
I will update in the next 30 minutes or so as to what happens.
I appreciate any and all help in this matter thanks guys.
Inspect

Well...No Dice

I was correct in thinking it isn't even making it to the Harddrive it is locked in the BIOS.
I will follow some of Mills advice here and I think I will contact HP and see what they say.
After that I am pulling anything of use out of the Damn thing and buying another Main board from somewhere else...
probably Toshiba. I have never had any problems from their products.
Thanks again guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back