no video on new pci card

Status
Not open for further replies.

densma

my pc came with AGP 64mb and it's no good. I upgraded to PCI 256mb. It's was just plug in and hook monitor to it and works for like a month. woke up one morning and the pci card wont display no video.. hook monitor to AGP and it works. unplug/plug in again.. the fan is running but no video
any idea? i didnt install any drivers, is there anything else i can check or is that card really dead? brand new card in a month? i checked bios and dont see option do disable AGP
thanks!!!

What make/model is each of those cards?

When you installed the PCI card, did you REMOVE the AGP card from your computer?

I'd recommend:

-taking that AGP card out of your computer
-going into your device manager and deleting the drivers for it
-installing PCI card and then installing PCI card's drivers.

thanks!!
not sure if it AGP but the card is built-in in the motherboard.
The pci card infor

PCI * Geforce FX5500 256MB Video Card Dual Head

Graphics Controller NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500;

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500;
256-bit graphics accelerator

Memory Configuration:
256MB DDR

Performance:
Graphics Core:
256-bit

Memory Interface:
128-bit DDR

Memory Bandwidth:
6.4 GB/sec.

Fill Rate:
2.1 billion texels/sec.

Vertices/sec.:
88 Million

Pixels Per Clock (peak):

Textures per Pixel (max per pass):

RAMDACs:
Dual 400MHz

I thought something was strange when you said 64Mb AGP. Now it makes more sense. Here's what I'd recommend.

-Go to http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp and download the geforce graphics driver. Save it somewhere on your computer, but do not run it yet.
-Take out PCI card and reboot in safe mode.
-Go into your device manager and delete the drivers for the onboard graphics (AND the nvidia graphics drivers if you have any installed).
-Reboot computer and go into BIOS and change the primary boot display from "onboard" to "PCI". Note, your particular bios may have it worded differently, but it will be something to that effect.
*note - many newer computers will automatically detect the PCI graphics card and change bios for you automatically
-Plug monitor into PCI card
-Turn on machine and windows should auto-detect new hardware.
-Install the drivers you downloaded in step 1 above.

Good luck!

thanks
i think the card was bad. i want and get another card and this time AGP.. installed the drivers on the disk but its using VGASAVE
i dont see any performance
what do i need to do to make this card use the right drivers instead of AVGSAVE

Making sure everything is compatible is the first thing. No trying to stick a PCI E card in an AGP slot or regular PCI. Go to the manufactures website for updated drivers. If you are buying an agp card is is probably old so the drivers on disc might not be up to date.

does it mean my board is not compactable?
i get this while trying to install updated drivers from the site

The NVIDIA seup program could not locate any drivers that compatible with your current hardware. setup will now exit

First of all, did you disable the intergrated videocard?
If you havent, thats your first step, go into BIOS and disable it.

Also, in the BIOS set the option to boot first PCI graphics adapter, not the AGP.

Have you uninstalled intergrated card's drivers?
And made sure you cleaned them good (DriverCleaner is a good tool for that)?

Try to uninstall and clear all of videocard drivers (integrated and from the new FX 5500), restart, then try installing drivers from the disc that came with your FX 5500, they are probably old, but they have to work since they came with the card.

I hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back