No video or POST with MSI K7n2 Delta2 Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, as the title says I'm having problems starting up my computer.
Here is my setup..

I have a MSI k7n2 Delta2 platinum Mobo
Amd Athlon 2600 XP processor
three ram sticks:
one 256 mb Rosewell pc3200
one 256 mb Samsung pc2700
one 256 mb Kingston unknown (i think it is 2700 but cant remember)
nVidia 5200 fx graphics card
Seagate 40 gb HDD Master
Maxtor 80 gb HDD Slave
Sony Cdrw burner

It all started the other day when my PC started restarting over and over after bootup continuosly. I watched it for about a minute and shut off the power from the PSU since it wouldn't stop with just the power button.

Now when I cut the PC on it powers up and the CPU fans, system fans, hdds, cdrw, and everything runs but I have no video to my monitor and it also doesn't post.

I try a backup video card but still get the same results. (both cards work on my other pc)

So I disconnect everything but power to mobo and turn it on. It now posts one long beep continuosly. Which the mobo book says it is a DRAM error.

Next I try reconnecting everything but the ram and still get the same POST.
I put one ram stick in (the Rosewell) and power on and it does the same thing again with no posts.

So next i tried all three RAM sticks in different slots alone and together with the same results as before. So I thought that maybe my RAM was bad. I decided to test it in my other PC and all three work fine. The PC did run before with this RAM. I have tried RAM out of other computers (all DDR 3200) with the same results also. Could this mean that the mobo has gone bad?
I've never seen anything like this before so any help or advise would be appreciated.

one thing you could try, enter the bios and set it to fail safe defaults setting. then install ram in MATCHED pairs instead of mix and match speeds.

I wish I could enter the bios, I still dont get any video with or without ram. The only thing not having ram in got me was an actual POST code..which was just for DRAM error...doesn't make any sense. Thanks for the help though.
Anyway I talked to a guy here at a local shop and he says he sees a lot of MSI mobos go bad like this and similar ways just days out of the box so I'm going to return it and go with something I've had no problems with yet like gigabyte or asus.

if you can RMA it then I defintely would. and the local guy is right. a friend of mine owns a computer shop and he refuses to even sell MSI boards. but he gets alot of business from people who buy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back