No Win2K disk. Should I update my service pack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

identityless

I just had someone install a fresh clean full version of Windows 2000 Professional NT on my computer. When I was trying to install Adobe Acrobat 6 on my computer, it said it needed to have Win2k Service Pack 2, meaning I have to go to Windows Update and download the latest service pack, correct? However, the problem is, what is included in the updated service pack? I would like to update my Windows 2K but I'm just afraid that if something screws up really bad in the updating process, I may have to buy or have someone reinstall Win2k again, since I don't have the Win2K disk nor the user/serial number. Updating my windows service pack is safe and easy and won't require me to enter a user/serial number right?

You won't need a serial-no. etc. to install a service pack.
In the meantime Win2000 has Service Pack 4 (SP4), so don't bother with any of the lower numbers, SP4 includes all the stuff from SP1, SP2 and SP3.
Download it for free from Microsoft's website. Be warned though, the file is approx. 135MB

As RBS said, you might as well get SP4 straight away. Once you launch the installation process, you are given the option to archive the "upgraded" files to eventually uninstall the service pack.

If you want to play it safe, make sure you don't have any AV software running while installing the service pack. Other then that, everything should be fine.:)

Any once you've finished, stop by windowsupdate.microsoft.com and download all of the post-SP4 fixes as well.

Originally posted by realblackstuff
You won't need a serial-no. etc. to install a service pack.
In the meantime Win2000 has Service Pack 4 (SP4), so don't bother with any of the lower numbers, SP4 includes all the stuff from SP1, SP2 and SP3.
Download it for free from Microsoft's website. Be warned though, the file is approx. 135MB

Hmmm...135mb???

There are two installations. The Express and the network. Which do I get? I assume the network, correct?

Well the Epxress one will download the extra necessary files once you launch it. The network install has all the files included & you can save it if you wish to install it on other machines. It also possible to slipstream the SP4 files to create an up-to-date W2K install CD.

I strongly urge you to get the network installation. I've seen Windows Update's "express" service packs fail so many times and mess so many systems up....

Be prepared for the possibility of failure. Maybe it is something 1 out 30 or 1 out 100, but service pack updates don't always go smoothly. But most people don't have anything to worry about.. ESPECIALLY since you have a relatively fresh install of Windows 2000.

Originally posted by identityless
Anyone has problem with SP4 on WIN2K Professional Edition?

I was going to download it, but reading a lot of the negative comments here...

http://download.com.com/3302-2098_4-10210714.html

Hmmm?

There's always negative comments about every update ever put out for any software. :)

This especially true for Microsoft products. It's a big update.. And it likely introduce new bugs... But it does fix a slew of old ones. So it is certainly worth chancing.

I have SP4 installed since July 2003. I have three W2K/SP4 installations at home, and none of them have given me any grief. I also keep them up-to-date by running Windows-update once a week, or when notified of immediate action by the likes of Ziff-Davis Anchordesk newsletter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back