No workgroup access @ work VIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK to start.. I am running a Toshiba Satellite with Win XP pro SP2. When I am @ home or school I can access any workgroup or domain available, but where I need it the most (@ work), I can't.

@ work we are running Server 2003
I have created a user object with my current user/pass of my laptop.
The workgroup name on my laptop is identical to that of the server.
The router is a Linksys Pre-N 4-port + WiFi.
I have tried almost everything

When I go to My Network Places, I cant even see my own computer, but on the other machines in the office I can see my computer name, but no resources from it.

When I try to map the network drive it says Network resource unavailable, contact system administrator.

But feel free to reiterate some options and I will respond...

This is VERY IMPORTANT.. I need to get some work done!!!!!

Hi

You need to introduce the laptop itself to the server, its not just the name\pass that is important.

To do this right click my computer and choose properties, then choose computer name then choose change, tick the radio box for domain and enter the domain name, you will be asked for credentials sufficient in priveledge to create a new computer on the domain.

Wait a few minutes whilst the server updates, then reboot the laptop, once rebooted you should be presented with the CTRL/ALT/DEL box press it and enter the user name and password you set up on the domain, there should be a 3rd box showing either the local PC name or the domain name, make sure it shows the domain name, if it's not showing the 3rd box press "options".

As a rule I always logon locally with the admin name and password first then log off and log on to the domain with the domain credentials.

Also you may have trouble with the wireless card not being connected before logon to the wifi network, if so post back.

Regards

you should create unique Hardware Profiles for Home vs. Work, as once you have a domain
controller, the usage at home will continue to look for it at login time.

see this article from MS

Thanks for info so far, but unfortunately, like I said.. its a work group.. not a domain.

Other machines that are just brought in i.e. laptops work fine and find all network resources..

Did this laptop get imaged at Work or did you install XP Pro yourself on your home workgroup network? For this to work at your job if it's was on a domain you need to make sure that AD Active Directory has a role created for this PC. Giving it Name that belongs to your work domain and can be DNS.

Because your laptop is not joined to the domain, you are not authenticating with the DC when you plug your laptop into the network.
Provided you have created an AD object on the DC, you could try creating a batch file which would run a simple net use command.

Something like: net use \\servername /user:domain\username password

This way you will authenticate with the DC and should be able to browse the network via UNC paths.

Either that or join your laptop to the domain.

Imaged @ home yes.. But again.. workgroup... not Domain.

Some more info about my problem..

@home---

I can see my workgroup for work (my laptop) and the home workgroup

@ school I can see a ton of workgroups including my own.

@ work I cant see anything... even myself. On other computers I can see everything including my laptop but cannot access it.

There is something that is blocking the interface or thoughput to and from my machine... Its either a setting on my laptop or on the router.

IM GOING CRAZY!!!

Hang on ... are you confusing Domains with Workgroups? What do you mean when you say you can see more than 1 workgroup?
Your PC cannot be joined to more that 1 workgroup and you shoudln't have an option to choose which workgroup I should logon to.
Do you see these options when you are at the CTRL+ALT+DEL screen under your username and password?

Don't worry about other PCs in your workplace being able to see your PC through Network places, it is not important. You still need to authenticate with the domain controller (DC) in your workplace. You can do this in two ways:
1. Join your computer to the domain
2. Use a net use command to authenticate with the server.

Lets say your work's DC is 192.168.0.10. When you plug your laptop into your work network you get an IP address of lets say 192.168.0.100. If you UNC path to the IP address of the DC (START - RUN - Type: \\192.168.0.10\ and hit ENTER) you will be either prompted for a username and password or it will open a folder with all the shares on that PC. If you are not prompted for a username and password, and you get "Path cannot be foud" error message, check that your Windows firewall is off and any other software firewalls or security software is disabled.

Try the above and let us know how you go. I'll try and help you more after you have tried what I have suggested.

Ok, lets use my home for instance.

When I Right click on my computer to map a network drive and browse, I can see my work's workgroup named Hindsite
I can also see my other computer which is still on the prepackaged "workgroup", Of course I cant get into it cause my laptop is part of the Hindsite workgroup.

At work (Im not there atm so I cant test any of these suggestions yet) I am able to browse and find the Hindsite workgroup but unable to see inside of it.

I just want you to realize I am not talking about a domain here.

But before I go further I will by all means try the use net idea. Ive tried everything else to no avail.

How many employees are part this workgroup? Windows will only allow a maximum of 10 people in a workgroup at any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back