Noisy PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nukey

Hey there,

Just a small question, I have an x-power 500w psu, but it seems to be painfully noisy. A friend of mine has the exact same model and it's no where near as loud as mine. It doesnt help adding to the noise of the other 8 fans. It just seems to be the power supply making the most noise. Any ideas? Thanks :D

Your system may just be running hotter - heat-sensitive fans will turn faster. More power drawn from the PSU will make it generate more heat too.

Also, are your fans working together to produce some kind of directed air flow? No point in having fans struggling to push air through other fans in the wrong direction.

Nodsu said:
Your system may just be running hotter - heat-sensitive fans will turn faster. More power drawn from the PSU will make it generate more heat too.

Also, are your fans working together to produce some kind of directed air flow? No point in having fans struggling to push air through other fans in the wrong direction.

yes. airflow should generaly be front to back, bottom to top, and intake to the cpu if you have a side (although it varies from each setup), and should somehow balance out ie 4 in 4 out... but again, that rule varies..

you might want to check that its not being overloaded due to intense hardware needs (not enough juice) ie to vid cards etc or getting on with age...

with 8 fans running... how could you even hear the PSU at all??

with that many fans you may be trying to move more air than the case allows. try removing the side panel and see if the noise stops. the reason i suggest this is to see if all your other fans are creating too much suction which could make your PSU fan struggle too much.

There is absolutely no need for 8 fans, you obviouly just want your case to look cool (i don't blame you... i am as much of a sucker for a pimped rig as the next guy.. lol). you should put those fans on a couple of reostats and turn the speeds down as much as possible, that way it will still look cool, still move plenty of air, and won't sound like a jet engine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back