Norton AntiVirus 2005 always crashes even though fresh install

Status
Not open for further replies.

PelleTM

Hey, Norton always crashes even though I have installed it fresh from the disc and ran a virus check. It takes a couple of minutes then it terminates. The fire wall also acts extremely erratic and is a huge headache. It actually worked for about a day yesterday without crashing just after the fresh install.

It refers to ccapp.exe when detailing the crash. What can I do to fix this? My brother has a computer exactly the same as mine (hardware-wise), and his norton runs perfectly.

I have also run Ad-Aware and removed everything.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

My advice would be to get rid of that Norton crapware.

We see lots of problems on these forums due to that crap.

Take a look HERE.

Just in case your system is infected by something nasty, go HERE and follow the instructions.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks, nothing would make me happier than to throw that crap out the window! But what should I use instead? Will the regular windows fire wall be OK?

http://free.grisoft.com

free firewalls from e.g. Kerio (from Sunbelt) or Outpost (from Agnitum).
Both programs will switch off the lousy one-way Windows firewall.

If you don't have one yet, get a router, it's added protection and should be used even on a single PC IMHO.

Where do I join the I hate Norton-club? Removing Norton also solved my other problem! It's really a devil in disguise. And the way they market Norton it's like you're forever lost without it. :bounce:

**edit** was going to suggest a sticky thread detailing how crappy Norton is but I noticed there already was a semi-related thread :p I found the Norton-thread that was linked earlier in this here a lot more informative though.

Need help uninstalling Norton

After 2 weeks of manually uninstalling Norton Internet Security 2004, I still have the Norton Protected Recycle Bin. The icon shows up on my desktop, and when I go into Explorer there it is and I cannot delete it using any method known to me. I cleaned it out so nothing is in it. Symantec was less than helpful. I first got a warning message from Norton about my virus protection being turned off. I was able to turn it back on the first day I got the message, then after that I got other messages and was unable to turn it back on. After a couple of days of that, when I went into Norton all my virus protection was listed as "Tampered." Then they told me the license I paid for last August which was for a year (through 8/06) was invalid - with no refund. And that I could purchase the new product since the old product was "unsupported." They couldn't even help me get the old product off my machine! Anyway, I believe I have all the files deleted off my PC but need to get rid of the recycle bin. Do I need to do something to use the default recycle bin within Windows XP Pro? I do not have any options within Properties of the Norton Recycle Bin. And I am not going to reinstall the product. I will gladly delete any files, change things in the Registry, etc. I currently have most of the services under MSCONFIG shut down - only left the Microsoft services and one Intel service. I have 3 others that are checked and I am wondering about - Machine Debug Manager, SAVscan, and ScriptBlocking Service, all manufacturer unknown. Having them running or not does not seem to have made a discernable difference.

Also, I am currently online without any protection. I have a new product (Computer Associates e-something) through my ISP. Can I load that before annihilating Norton?

One last thing. Now when I am in Internet Explorer I cannot expand articles (where you click on the + sign), although I can in Mozilla (which I normally use anyway). Nor can I expand things within Help products, nothing happens (I've also only tried to access help within Microsoft Outlook, so it may just be something needed for Microsoft products). I assume there was something within the Norton subdirectories for those functions or it is possible I deleted or uninstalled them by mistake. I did dump something that I think was SYMWMI at one point trying to get rid of all the Symantec stuff.

Any help with any of the above would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Sue

no need to pay for most software when you can use opensource equivelents that are free and just as good.

Use AVG free for an anti-virus. It's better than norton home, unless you're a US Federal employee - then you can use norton corporate for free with a government license.

Use openoffice.org for an office-suite

Use Mozilla or firefox as a webbrowser

Use Thunderbird for an email client

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back