Norton Antivirus Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaNdo

'Sup

Million thx for all the help u guys have given me.... but now i'm having still another problem with this goddamn CPU :(

Recently, Norton Antivirus (2003) has started to act wierd.... every time I turn on the computer I get an error msg. saying:

Norton - ATTENTION Access denied, drive C: and then Auto-protect doesn't startad there's an error with email scannig. So I tried uninstalling NAV only to get this error at startup:

ccRegVfy.exe - Unable To Locate Component

This application has failed to start because ccTrust.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

And when I reinstall Norton i get the access denied error again.

What should I do about this and what is this ccregvfy.exe and is it OK to disable it through msconfig ? Thx :confused:

See if THIS helps...

In Google, the answer lies...
--Yoda

On a personal note (which MIGHT be of interest)...
Norton isn't any good. For just antivirus, there is a LEGIT free one that is far less intrusive and MUCH more effective. It's call AVG. And, no... This isn't spam and it isn't BS... Visit
HERE. It's a little known PC antivirus secret I picked up years ago. Been using it ever since, man. Trust me, it works BETTER!

Chris

Oh, and one other thing... What does this have to do with Audio/Video?! LOL, I think this should be in a different forum, moderators...

Chris

Yeah sry bout the later thing
No sweat at all. I was just wondering... As you can see, I'm a newbie to this forum, too! I am well established at several other forums, but this is new to me. I don't know anyone!

Starting to feel lonely... Sigh... J/K

Chris

Well. I got that AVG AntiVirus, and then I'm not gonna bother with NAV but that's the problem ...when I uninstall I get that error as I said, CCregvfy.exe error. Is it safe to disable ccRegVfy.exe in startup ?

So you uninstalled it? It's gone? Everything? If so, I would GUESS that you can remove that from startup. Google it and see what you find.

Chris

Hmm.... I uninstalled Norton and removed CCRegVfy.exe from startup...I get no errors when I boot, but after that the game Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory started to freeze, it just stops and then I get an error saying Like ET.exe has encountered a problem and needs to be shut down... :( What to do ?

The error you are getting is because part of NAV is still there. I would suspect the problem is that you have a virus and it disabled NAV which gave you the original error msg(and no, it wouldn't have mattered if you had a different AV software at that point) Some Virii will seek out and disable all major popular versions of AV, firewall, and other such apps on startup.

Originally posted by cjwsb
On a personal note (which MIGHT be of interest)...
Norton isn't any good.

That is your opinion, and we all know how valid opinions are don't we...

I've been using NAV forever and its served me well, aside from a couple of old versions for 95 that didn't use resources very well.

et.exe error

My husband was having problems with Wolfenstein. He had the same et.exe error. I ran Ad-aware (Download at www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/) to get rid of all the spyware and it fixed the problem. Make sure you run the update everytime you run ad-aware. Norton didn't have anything to do with it.

I am dealing with a virus that has disabled Norton system works premier and spybot S&D. Unable to run either, uninstall, reinstall, execute, ect. Reinstall of Norton 2005 Premier fails during component registration process. Have done everything to remove Norton from system. Unable to reinstall. XP Pro, selective startup in MSconfig for "clean Boot" does not help. No available answers on symantec website. Any suggestions? Thanks in adavance. Only other option is clean install of OS and programs. Any help greatly appreciated. Eric.

Can't Do what you are suggesting RealBlackStuff

I am unable to execute, or uninstall, or reinstall Spybot, Norton Systemworks 2005 Premier, Antivirus, ect. All attemps at the exe file do nothing. Have used symantecs tools for removing software for reinstall purposes, install still fails. I believe this is a denial of service attack which prevents autoprotect from starting up and disables spybot, HJT, ect.

Right now I am working on trying to get Norton AntiV uninstalled and reinstalled and go from there. The installation fails at Updating Component registration: AntiVirus: RB_versionControl.BC731320_5570_4E8F_8CED_C***
while installing the necessary files. THIS IS NOT A FAILURE IN THE ACTUAL REGISTRATION PROCESS it is a failure in the installation of.
I also ran a antivirus scan from symantec off the internet and it came up with 9 adware files infected but none of these looked serious enough to accomplish all of this.

ccRegVfy.exe and cctrust.dll error

I received a complicated suggestion from Symantec support which involved uninstalling everything.

However, a much better fix would have been:

1. See if the offending program can be removed from the startup and/or services menu (start/run/ msconfig then make it unchecked).
  2. If this fixes the ssue, then search and delete for any instamces of ccRegVfy.exe in the registry (use regedit edit/find/ F3 to repeat).
  3. This fixed the problem in my PC.
  4. Then I could do a normal reboot with all my startup programs working.

The following advice was taken from this website: http://kb.winantivirus.com/index.php?do=view_question&id=239

Follow the steps below to remove traces of previous versions of Norton AntiVirus from your system with the help of Rnav2003 removal utility:

1. Download the Rnav2003 removal utility from the following link:

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/misc/consumer/Rnav2003.exe

2. A File Download dialog window opens. Click Save and save the file to your desktop.
3. To decide which method to proceed with:

a. If your system runs on Windows XP operating system:

i. And you upgraded from Windows 98/ME operating systems without uninstalling Norton AntiVirus, run Method 1 as well Method 2.

ii. And Norton AntiVirus was installed after you upgraded to this operating system, go to Method 2.

b. If your system runs on Windows 98/2000/ME operating systems, go to Method 2.

Method 1:
1. Right click the Rnav2003.exe removal utility and choose Properties.
2. Navigate to the Compatibility tab.
3. Select Run this program in compatibility mode for.
4. From the drop down menu, choose the operating system that you had before upgrading to Windows XP.
5. Click Apply and then OK.
6. Proceed on with the steps discussed in Method 2.

Method 2:
1. Run the downloaded Rnav2003.exe file.
2. When prompted, choose the version of Norton AntiVirus that was originally installed.

For example, let us say that you originally installed Norton AntiVirus 2001. Later you upgraded the version to Norton AntiVirus 2002 and then to Norton AntiVirus 2003. In such a case, when you run the Rnav2003.exe utility, you should first specify Norton AntiVirus 2001. The version will be removed and you would be prompted to restart your computer. Then you should run the utility again specifying Norton AntiVirus 2002. After the version is removed and your system restarts, run the utility for Norton AntiVirus 2003 and restart the system for one last time.

3. All previous versions of Norton AntiVirus are now removed from your system.

Proceed to the last section of ensuring the complete removal of Norton AntiVirus 2004 from your system.

Procedure 5: Removing all Norton AntiVirus folders from your system

Follow the steps below to remove all folders associated with Norton AntiVirus from your system:

1. Open Windows Explorer by following the path Start-> Programs-> Accessories-> Windows Explorer or by hitting its respective shortcut key (Windows icon + E).

2. Navigate through the explorer and delete the following folder on your system
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus

If you had installed Norton AntiVirus in a location other than the default one, navigate to that location and delete the folder.

3. Do one of the following:
a. If you do not have any other Symantec products installed on your system, delete the following folders:

C:\Program Files\Symantec
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Symantec

b. If you have any Symantec product installed, then delete the following folder:

C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus

Nis

Hello SB,
I am using NIS and it is a real resource hog, while gaming it has caused me problems. I like the features but cannot unload the program can only disable certian features. Any suggestions other than AVG? THX :chef:

StormBringer said:
The error you are getting is because part of NAV is still there. I would suspect the problem is that you have a virus and it disabled NAV which gave you the original error msg(and no, it wouldn't have mattered if you had a different AV software at that point) Some Virii will seek out and disable all major popular versions of AV, firewall, and other such apps on startup.

That is your opinion, and we all know how valid opinions are don't we...

I've been using NAV forever and its served me well, aside from a couple of old versions for 95 that didn't use resources very well.

Access Denied Drive C

This fixed the error message on my system. ( I have Norton Anti Virus 2008 and SystemWorks 2008 running under XP Media Edition.)

Solution:
1. Go to Norton / Norton Anti Virus / Settings / Auto Protect
2. Disable "Protection for Norton Products"
3. Right-click the Norton Protected Recycle Bin
4. Go to Properties / Norton Protection
5. Uncheck "Enable Protection", Click OK
6. Reboot: Error message should disappear
7. Go to Norton Anti Virus / Anti Virus Options
8. Enable "Protection for Norton Products"
(The next time you reboot, Error message should not reappear. You can check the Norton Protected Recycle Bin to verify that Enable Protection remains unchecked.)

I hope this helps !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back