Norton firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabu

Hi guys, this is probably the wrong place but it is the closest thing I found. I am downloading norton personal firewall and cannot get it to installl. The yellow install screen apperas and the blue line goes across the botton but the next screen never comes up. I had a trial verson installed for a day and could not get it to activate byond the trial period so I removed it to install another copy. So far I have not been able to get another copy to install. In remove programs in controll panel the icon is still there with no data but I cannot delete it. This has been kicking my *** since saturday and today is tuesday. If anyone can help it will be greatly appriciated. Thanks

I`ll echo those sentiments. Stay away from any Symantec/Norton security crapware.

Your computer will thank you for it. ;)

Regards Howard :)

Guys, telling me to use another program is like tellling someone with a broken down geo to get rid of it and buy a Lincon. Or vice versa. It doesn not solve my imediate problem. I solved the problem on my own.

Rhianntp said:
best advice is to not use norton firewall... go to www.zonelabs.com and get a much better product for free :)
You might want to be careful with zonealarm also. It has been found recently that they have been spying on people. I don't use any software firewalls hurt the performance of your machine most of the time.

sabu said:
Guys, telling me to use another program is like tellling someone with a broken down geo to get rid of it and buy a Lincon. Or vice versa. It doesn not solve my imediate problem. I solved the problem on my own.

We were just pointing out that there are better alternatives to Norton.

If you insist on using Norton, then don`t be surprised if things go wrong.

There really are far better firewalls out there for free.

Obviously it`s up to you, but these forums are full of problems caused by norton/Symanetc software.

Jimbo420 said:
You might want to be careful with zonealarm also. It has been found recently that they have been spying on people. I don't use any software firewalls hurt the performance of your machine most of the time.

Can you give me any info to substantiate that?

I would be very interested.

howard_hopkinso said:
Can you give me any info to substantiate that?

I would be very interested.

Not a problem. These are links that I found on another forum that I post at. Most of the time I am not very quick to believe things like this but there are three differnet links saying the same thing. Plus supposedly the company as admitted to is and is working on a patch.

http://www.a1-electronics.net/General_Interest/2005/Security_Nov.shtml
http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/01/13/73792_03OPcringley_1.html
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29157

Very interesting indeed.

I use the free zonalarm, and can`t say that I`ve noticed any unusual activity.

Maybe it`s just the paid for version.

I am however, dismayed that this is being done by a company who thousands upon thousands of people trust.

I would urge any zonealarm customers to e-mail the company and complain.

Thanks for the info Jimbo420.

howard_hopkinso said:
Very interesting indeed.

I use the free zonalarm, and can`t say that I`ve noticed any unusual activity.

Maybe it`s just the paid for version.

I am however, dismayed that this is being done by a company who thousands upon thousands of people trust.

I would urge any zonealarm customers to e-mail the company and complain.

Thanks for the info Jimbo420.

Not a problem. Also I would do that quick fix if just incase that they talked about in the article from The Inquirer. There is a couple of entries you can place there to stop the software from contacting the spying servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back