Norton Internet Security 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzzy65

I recently installed Norton Internet Security 2003, and something went wrong. NIS itself is unresponsive. I have tried to uninstall it, but there are 2 system tray icons that refuse to close, so NIS will not uninstall. I can not use NIS at all. Windows Media Player 9 has stopped working. So hasn't System Restore, System Information, and a few others. I am rather frustrated at this point. My config is: P4 2ghz, 256mb ram, XP-Home. Any ideas? Need more info?

I suggest booting into safe mode so that way NIS will not load. You can do this buy pressing F8 after it posts before it boots the OS, keep hitting it. Once you get in there goto add/remove programs and it should work.

BTW, :wave: :waveto TechSpot :wave: :wave:

Check out this forum and introduce yourself.

Thanks. Ok. I tried that. It did not work. I received the following message: The Windows Installer Service Could Not Be Accessed.
Suggestions?

I tried that yesterday. I did not work. My problem seems to be with the Windows installer service. Can this be fixed by simply reinstalling windows, or will windows not install because the installer service seems to be corrupt?

Error 1719. The Windows Installer Service Could Not Be Accessed" Error Message When You Add or Remove Program.
Have a look at this article fromMSKB

OK, I understand that. But what would you suggest I do first. Attempt the NIS removal, or repair the windows installer?

If the Windows Installer service is broken, you probably won't be able to remove it. To begin with I thought you weren't able to access it because of some setting from NIS, but it looks like it may actually be corrupted or otherwise broken. Fix the Windows Installer Service, then try using the NIS uninstaller thing from the previous link.

Ok. Here's where we stand. I "fixed" the windows installer. Tried to uninstall NIS through the remove program option. That still did not work. Downloaded the NIS uninstallers from Symantec. Those did the trick. The system seems to be back to normal now. WMP-9 is working, system restorer and system information working. Now I have to reinstall NIS-2003. I think I will install NIS one piece at a time. Thanks for help!!!

I am glad you got everything working now. And thank you for posting your fix, please post back if you have any more problems, and we will try to solve those as well.

Thanks Buzzy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back