Norton Internet Security 2005 help (ccapp.exe memory usage problem)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, recently ive been experiences higher mem usages from the ccapp.exe application faster than previously, up to the point where it can go from 17,000k upon restart to around 150,000k in about 3-4 hours, making me restart the comp again because thats just too high for one application and makes no sense to me, not to mention if i run other applications the overall performace will lower due to that one application hogging so much of the memory, i only have 1G memory. before it went to 150,000k mem usage in around 8-9 hours but now it just seems to be going up faster, cutting the time by half than before, im really not sure why it stays at such a high mem usage, what for? if it can run with only 17k from the beggining, have no idea why it would use the extra 140,000 for what? anyways..

i was wondering if someone can help me eliminate this problem so the memory usage (if possible) returns to normal as it should be which is 17,000 (well this is how much mem it was using upon a fresh computer restart), or at most around 30,000 40,000k mem usage or so i guess, i checked the firewall logs and this could be Part of the problem because everytime this message gets logged it increases the mem usage, it keeps on repeately every few minutes logs this message "A rule for "c:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe" was automatically created using a preconfigured rule."

it seems to be be creating a rule for this exe every few minutes, im not sure why though, shouldnt it only create the rule once and then leave that exe alone because a rule for it is already created? it just seems like svchost is just deleting the rule or something thats why every few minutes i see the same log again over and over saying it was automatically created

im not sure what is really wrong but this is part of what is eating the mem usage, wondering if anyone can help me on this issue, Thanks.

This is old software - go for an upgrade to the current edition or better still, change to another less greedy application such as kaspersky or f-secure. Freebies worth considering are AVG and Avast!

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I openly admit, I`m no fan of Symantec/Norton resource hogging crapware. If it were my system, I`d get rid of it and get something less intrusive. Recommendations below.

How to get rid of Symantec/Norton for Good.

AVG free or Avast antivirus programmes.

Zonealarm Kerio or Comodo free firewall programmes.

However, that`s completely up to you.

Just in case you have some sort of malware that`s causing your problem, see this thread HERE, then post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Yea i really need to throw this thing away, everyday it goes to about 140,000l, to 150,000k every few hours only, dont understand why it constantly goes up from its originaly mem usage which is only 17,000k, does it need to use this much memory for something or its just stealing all this memory for nothing? it just never stops going up in mem usage, if it were on for 8 hours the application might end be using 300,000 mem usage probably lol, i might give the new internet security version one more chance, i think i will just wait for the 2008 version instead of the 2007 one, if it still hogs it up this much then i might aswell find another program and discontinue the internet security for good. Well thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back