Norton systemworks 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbhall

Been using this utility set for the last 4 years, yet suddenly for no obvious reason, ALL the utilities bar one simply stopped working. However I try to start them, via the main utility centre, from where they install themselves as explorer add-ons, as options under drive properties, even double-clicking the executables, they just ignore it.

Only installing the usual MS security updates for December can be associated with this sudden problem, and as we all know, Norton stuff is just appalling about interfering with other stuff, or being interfered with by other stuff.

It is also known to be virtually impossible to uninstall properly, although I could probably do this if really pushed. My problem is that some of those utilities are quite useful from time to time, making me reluctant to say 'sod this for complete rubbish' and banish it forever.

Does any body have any idea what might help - certainly the symantec site does not !

Yup, getting rid of that rubbish will help.

I do some malware removing and Norton is the worst "protective" software there is bar none. I have seen the evidence of my claim in hundreds of logs.
I strongly suggest that you follow the instructions below.

Download either the free AVG or Avast antivirus programmes and either the free Zonealarm or Kerio firewall programmes from within this link - https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

Then, disconnect from the net and completely uninstall Symantec/Norton. If you have any problems in uninstalling the programme, take a look at this thread - https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic57112.html

Once you`ve completely uninstalled Symantec/Norton, reboot your system and install whichever firewall programme you chose, followed by whichever antivirus programme you chose. Reboot your system the required number of times and reconnect to the net. Run the antivirus updates.

While NSW 2003 was the last norton product (other than corporate software) really worth anything, it has been surpassed by many FREE programs that are equal or better at doing the job that NSW can do. I recommend removing the product completely and get yourself a free anti-virus and other utilities like glarysoft or crapcleaner.

Sorry, folk, you all jump the gun a little. I never used any of the 'protection' features, just the utilities like defrag (speeddisk), disk doctor, win doctor, system information....I would miss the first one most - it is the only defrag that defrags empty space too....

Well, I know that, I use AVG 7.5 anti-virus, AVG anti-spyware, ZoneAlarm firewall, and frequently run Ad-aware, spybot search, not to mention Ccleaner, combofix, bhoDemon, hijack this. I have never knowingly had any infection, although I picked up a Quicktime updater from a BBC website which behaved in a peculiar fashion that was a bit suspicious, so I deleted that and reverted Quicktime to an earlier version.

Hopefully, I am ok but thanks for the concern anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back