Not able to type root password when prompted

Status
Not open for further replies.

i_need_answers

hey
I havent been here for awhile but whenever i've had a question you guys have helped me out.... This is a weird one though...Ok, Im trying to dual-boot xp pro and ubuntu (the latest version). I can't seem to use the console though. I understand Unbuntu doesn't use root but when I type "su" and it prompts me for a password I type my user password and it says its invalid. But the weird part is when im typing no password shows up...not even little stars....Im new to linux so I might be missing something...any help is much appreciated :) thanks

The asterisks are not supposed to show up so no one can find out the length of your password - this is standard behaviour on unix systems.

When you do su without a username parameter, then it is the root password you have to type in. Have you tried an empty password?

BTW, you should make a habit out of using "su -" instead of plain "su".

ooo :) thanks that makes since....But since its Ubuntu it doesn't use root. I went into the user menu and root is there but it lists a password that I didnt make about 6 charactors long. If "su" makes it log on as root then i'll need to find out the password right? any suggestions on how to do this?
Thanks a bunch

You are supposed to use sudo to do root tasks on Ubuntu. How about "sudo su -"? That ought to do a su "as root", meaning it won't ask you for a password..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back