Not enough resources to run Radeon 9600Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorturedChaos

With the help of a friend who knows considerably more about computers than me i bought a Radeon 9600Pro graphics card (here is the link to the exact one i bought. Well i put it in there and turn on my computer, with the monitor pluged into the new graphics card and the screen freaks out for a while when it boots up (flashes a lot mostly) and then goes back to normal, i install the driver off the cd i came with and restart my system. then i go look at it under the device manager, and under display adapter it has Radeon 9600 series, and Radeon 9600 series- secondary. but the Radeon 9600 series has a yellow warning sign infron of it. And in the properties for it , it says that it doesnt have enough resouces to run, and that i should disable one ore more other devices so i can run. So i disable every thing that i know i can without crashing my poor computer. but it still wont run.

so anyone can anyone give me some help.

oh and my computer is an emachine with a AMD Atholon Xp 2000+ 1.66 GHZ processer 768 MB RAM (bit of and upgrade to it) with Windows XP pro on it more info on it if you need it can be found here

thx in adv to anyone who can help me, i have tried everything that i can think of, and everything that my friend who said my computer can run this graphics card can think of.

also the image comes up fine, its just the computer isnt using the graphics card at all or something, im not sure, becaue the image is just like it was before i put in the card. But if try to run any of the apps that came with it they say there is no ATI driver installed or devices is not present or something like that. and when i try to load age of mythlology it gives an error(dont rember what exatly it is, but it was graphics related).

Oh and my old graphics card was an intergrated one (i think it was a S3 ProSavage DDR) so i dont think i can remove that.

My friend had my try to turn off some stuff in the BIOS but i couldnt find what he was talking about in there.

hope i gave enough info so someone can help me out. I guess i go look at neweggs.com return policy if i can get it to work :(

did u have a older videio card the u didnt disable? I used to have a ATI all in wonder and when i got my nvidia geoforce 6800 i forgot to disable my ATI and the same thing happened. also what kind of motherboard do u have?

well the driver for my old video card doesnt show up any more, so im not sure how i would disable it. I was told by a friend to go into the bios and try to disbale it, but no go there either, couldnt find a way to disbale it.

Can you give us the specs of your system? Better yet, put them in your profile for the next time you have a question.

In the meantime, try this. Boot up in safe mode, and go into your device manager and wipe out the drivers for the onboard video.

Shut off computer, install new card.

Go into bios and find the option for which video card it should boot from, and change it to AGP.

Let us know how it goes. Also, what kind of PSU you have in there? Who is the maker, and what watts is it rated at?

yeah dude, click on start, right click on my computer, go to properties, the hardware tab, device manager, go to display adaptors, and if you have anything else in there besides radeon 9600, disable/uninstall them.

i finaly said screw it because i couldnt get it to work, and found that my processer might not be compatable with the card, so i bought a GeForce one and it works fine. but thanks for trying to help me any ways.

I have the same problem as this guy here. I bought an Emachine as well and got a Radeon 9600XT. When i installed the drivers, it said it didnt have enough resources. I am a computer newbie. Probably the only difference in our system is that i have a 350 watt powersupply and a fan that didnt come with the Emachine system. I don't know what to do, because i do not have the money to buy much. Please help me out.

System specs ( I guess ):
AMD Athlon XP 2000+, Radeon 9600XT, 512 DDR ram.

Chances are pretty good your PC doesn't support APIC interrupt mode, or your ROM/IO address space is full from other devices.

Some things you should try:
1) Starting in the BIOS, disable ANY hardware you are not using. This includes COM ports (serial), printer ports, IEEE-488, IR ports, etc.etc. If you have any on-board devices you have replaced (such as integrated audio or video, where you have since added a PCI/AGP version), you should also look for ways to disable these in the BIOS, by a jumper on the mainboard or otherwise.

2) If you have exhausted BIOS and mainboard jumpers, another way to disable devices is to actually set them as "Disabled in this Profile" in the Device Manager. At the bottom of each device in the device manager properties for the device, you'll see a drop-down labeled "Device Usage".. select :"Do not use this device (disabled)" and reboot for any unused hardware that doesn't have a BIOS or mainboard jumper for full hardware removal.

3) If you have a PCI slot adjacent to the AGP slot, try moving any possible PCI card to another slot. In some early E-Machines, the AGP slot uses shared resources with the AGP slot. This means it's either/or, not both. Move any PCI devices adjacent to the AGP slot to another free PCI slot for a test.

4) Consider upgrading to a mainboard with APIC support! (this yields 24 "virtual" IRQ's for XP/NT/2K, versus the standard DOS/Win16 16/Cascade IRQ's).

Some videocards allow sharing of their resources. Most ATI's do not. They require their own IRQ/address space (APIC excluded).

Thank you for the information. I shall try these now. And btw, how much do you think a decent motherboard with APIC support would cost me? I do not have much money to spend.

Disabling some of my hardware stuff doesn't seem to work. I guess I have to get a new motherboard ; ;. Well, Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it. I shall never buy another Emachine thingy every again. XD

According to EMachines website, you can disable the on-board video only with a jumper on the mainboard. Here's the page:
http://www.emachines.com/support/view_faq.html?faq=1004986892#3

So.. you'll need to actually crack open the case (power off and unplug) and find the appropriate jumper and move it.

It's also difficult to know IF your mainboard supports APIC or not. If you select "View Resources by Type" in the Device Manager, expand the "Interrupt Request(IRQ) +" tree and see if any numbers there are above 16. If you have 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 or others.. your mainboard indeed supports APIC IRQ mode.

Even non-APIC is just fine and dandy, but it can have problems with just how much hardware you can add. Chances are, you'll be just fine if you can disable the on-board videocard (with the jumper provided). This should free up a ton of I/O address space, as well as an IRQ for the new AGP videocard... and all you need for now. You may also need to install AGP/chipset drivers (VIA - VIA KM 266 chipset), but dont do this until after you've gotten the on-board disabled and if further problems persist.

Good luck!

oh thank you. But i have already ordered a new motherboard and CPU. Got it from newegg.com ::wink::. Well i guess i'll try it anyway as i am waiting for my parts to arrive. Thank you very much ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back