Not finding hard drive on computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't know too much about this type of stuff, but here goes...
I bought a firelite external hard drive and it worked for about 2 weeks. But recently I haven't been able to find it. It's not showing up on "my computer" or in the contol panel...I guess I'm not very sure where it is. If it helps, I have windows XP...thanks!!

try unplugging will machine is running(USB right)
reboot machine with drive unplugged
after boot plug back in ,xp should see it if not check your USB drivers ,made need to reload them

I rebooted and plugged it in, and it still doesn't work, and I don't really think anything is wrong with the USB ports since my printer works when plugged in. I talked to a tech guy at the college I go to and explained to him what was going on and he said that the hard drive might be broken...maybe the computer isn't supplying enough power to it??

I would think it needs it's own power to operate will not run from usb power.
usb is the communication
I could be wrong here ,but my usb external has its own plug for power
right click on my computer
properties / hardware/device manager
see any ? marks in yellow if so you need to reinstall the usb drivers for the MB
if that does not help get too the error
if you can test on another pc should automaticly find new device plugged in.if it does not
and it is under warrenty find out if you can open without breaking a seal. cause if you rma it they will not get your data for you.
you will find that the disc is a sata or ide drive
if your MB can plug direct to it do this,now here's where it gets tricky on reboot make sure you don't run chkdsk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back