Not reading the drivers? Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, let me explain my situation. I found an old 40g ATA hard drive to use after my other hard drive recently crashed.

I deleted the old partition of Windows XP on it, and reinstalled a fresh Windows XP Professional 2002 on it (it was the only XP disk of mine I could find.

After the install, the OS works fine, but I have no sound, instead of reading my ethernet port it is reading a connected 1394 connection (wtf? even without the cable plugged in, it's reading it as active), not reading my graphics card, monitor, and is randomly saying I have 5 drives (I assume it is reading my various media input drives as actual drives).

Can anyone help me get my computer up and running again? Internet functioning, reading everything properly, etc.. or have any clue what exactly my problems are?

My computer was bought 2 years ago, here are the specs:

Gateway 5200S
3.0ghz p4 processor
1.5g RAM
Radeon X600 PCI-E graphics card
Intel 915GAG motherboard

Please help! All help is appreciated!

Also, last night, I installed an updated version of my BIOS, and now my fan won't stop running.. and it's real loud.

1394 is your firewire connection(s). If your pc has it, then it will appear under the network connections. If you dont use it, you may disable it but its best to leave it alone, since it wont be doing much anyways.

I think you just need to update your drivers and all should be fixed, as linked in howard's post.

Unfortunately, when I try that, the download won't start up.. it's been a few minutes now, and I haven't had the option to save it to this computer I am on. (which is a Dell, btw.)

I've tried using both Firefox and Internet Explorer browsers, but it's still taking an exceptionally long time. I don't understand.

Try HERE for a list of drivers for your system.

I have checked and they do download ok to my computer, which is a custom built job.

I am using the Firefox browser.

Regards Howard :)

Huh, there must be some sort of conflict between my system and gateway.com. I've tried on both my dell and my laptop, and neither one of them are popping up for the Intel(r) Pro/100 & PRO/1000 Network Driver Version: 7.1.12.0 download.

I've managed to download the chipset drivers, and the bios revision. Do you think these drivers would let me connect to the internet? Or do I need that network driver, like I think I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back