Not sure about front panel audio wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rik

Hi all,
My pc case doesn't have front panel audio on it at all but my mobo (Abit NF7-S) supports it.

I want to fit headphone and microphone sockets in the front to connect a headset to but I'm not sure on the microphone wiring.

The headset has a separate stereo 3.5mm plug for the microphone, my mobo book says the internal header has " audio mic" and "audio mic bias", I'm not sure exactly sure how to connect it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,
Many thanx in advance, Rik.

"audio mic bias" is the ground wire for the phono socket, "audio mic" is the signal.

Thanx for the help Nodsu, much appreciated.
One more question tho, the mic plug is a stereo 3.5mm, am i correct i thinking that what would be the left and right channels are connected together?

If it's mono (as most mics are) then yes. You can tel by the number of black plastic bads on the jack - 1 band is mono, 2 bands is stereo - but even if it's stereo it makes not a blind bit of difference if connected to mono equipment.

Guess what, I'm having front panel problems again.

Ive upgraded to an Asus K8V-X mobo (and all the bit to go with it), i got front panel mic going with my old mobo but had no luck with my new one so far.
The front panel audio connector is labeled differently and i'm not sure what to do?
Its got micpwr, that's obvious!!! but it also has mic2??? Does that mean it can run 2 mic's or a stereo one??? and I'm assuming the mic should also be connected to audio ground??? Why oh why cant the label things better????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back