not sure if i post here but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok heres the problem. I have a router and my brothers computer and my computer is connected to it. My problem is, his internet connection works, but mine doesnt. It just shut down one day and hasnt worked since. The cord is fine because we tested it. I went to my internet connections and the TCP/IP and it said everything was <UNAVAILABLE> I thought what the heck? so i took out my network card and put in the cable to my other NIC card. Its built into my motherboard. anyways, i installed the drivers for that one and now i get....under TCP/IP

address type: assigned by DHCP
IP address:169.254.231.184 (shouldnt it be liek 192. wahtever?????)
subnet mask:255.255.0.0
default gateway: (ya its blank.)

these are messed. It should have, you know...numbers haha....

what do I do? I'm sooooo confused...:'(

sorry again if this is where i dont post. If anyone knows a place where I can post, it would be awsome!!

Try changing them to this

address type: assigned by DHCP
IP address:192.168.0.(2-100) Anynumber ur brother doesn't use
subnet mask:255.255.255.0
default gateway: 192.168.0.1

i dont wanna sound stupid but i dont know how too change it....:(....where do i go to change it?..........is that the tcp/ip properties?

Yeah normally you just go into control panel, network connections, select the lan connection and change the ip settings.

Your computer chooses a 169.254.x.x address when it can not reach a DHCP server...

Do you have a DHCP server on your LAN?

If not you will need to specify the IP Address as Nause said above...

The Gateway should be the IP of your internet gateway /firewall, router whatever...

The DNS server should either be that of your firewall (if you are running DNS) or one your ISP provided you

The netmask should be the same on all your PC's in the network...

All your PC's must also be in the same range to be able to talk...

192.168.0.x and
192.168.1.x with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 will not be able to talk... But if their subnet mask is 255.255.0.0 they will be able to talk....

thanks for the help, I tried that, but it didnt work.:( My ip adress kept switching back to 169......etc.....everytime i restarted the computer...has anyone ever heard of thishappening?..I thought I had been hacked..or soemthing....cuz it was definatly acting a litle weird haha.....So, I reformatted it. (it was time anyways haha) and It still didnt work. I did what you told be again, and it wasnt working, but when i restarted, it wasnt switching my ip address..;)..So, I tried my old network card that I originally took out because even after ininstallling and reinstalling it the first time, it wasnt working. But then after reformatting, I tried my old card again and bingo....... My built in card didnt work either after i reformatted too, but some crappy 5 dollar card works..........haha....damn.....oh well, thanx for your help guys. :)

169.* are various error addresses, typically problems with DHCP.

You cannot both use DHCP AND specify your address at the same time; it doesn't work that way (well on the DHCP server end it can but that is a different story)

It sounds to me like your onboard NIC has failed or that you had some driver or configuration corruption for it. But, no biggie now, seeing as you have fixed it. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back