Not sure what ram to get

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitch04

hi i know i have a ddr2 ram but isnt there like other ram aswell because im looking on ebay and theres all different kinds of ddr 2 ram and i dont no if it will work on my computer the one i am looking out now is SD dam DDR2 would that fit on my computer because if its DDR2 will it fit any DDR2 ram?

thanks alot

Its an ASUS M2N-MX all i know is that its DDR2 240-pin. this one i am looking on ebay NEW 1GB DDR2-800 PC2-6400 DIMM RAM 1 GB G 1G DDR MEMORY but then i went to it looked down said SDRAM DIMM so i dont think that would fit would it?
thanks

mitch04 said:
hi i know i have a ddr2 ram but isnt there like other ram aswell because im looking on ebay and theres all different kinds of ddr 2 ram and i dont no if it will work on my computer the one i am looking out now is SD dam DDR2 would that fit on my computer because if its DDR2 will it fit any DDR2 ram?

thanks alot
http://www.crucial.com/

Go here, they'll scan your system, you don't have to buy anything. They will tell you what you have, what can be upgraded, what they have, etc. It doesn't cost anything and at least you'll know what your looking for. I got 1GB from them last month and it works fine.

nah did it. it tells me what i got in it but im really lost will my ram fit SD ram DDR2 im so confused. im gonna open my pc up and see i will update you

Update: it says its pc2 - 5300 so wouldnt the 1GB DDR2-800 PC2-6400 DIMM RAM 1 GB G 1G DDR MEMORY SDRAM hold on is all DDR2 ram are SD RAM? IM so confused

mitch04 said:
nah did it. it tells me what i got in it but im really lost will my ram fit SD ram DDR2 im so confused. im gonna open my pc up and see i will update you

Update: it says its pc2 - 5300 so wouldnt the 1GB DDR2-800 PC2-6400 DIMM RAM 1 GB G 1G DDR MEMORY SDRAM hold on is all DDR2 ram are SD RAM? IM so confused
If the scanner said pc2 5300 you have 667mhz ram. DDR or DDR2? Big difference.
pc2 6400 is 800mhz
Does it say you have it or you can upgrade to it?

i said its DDR2 1GB 400mhz pc2 5300 I know that for sure read up. i just want to know can any ddr2 ram fir my motherboard like this one 1GB DDR2-800 PC2-6400 DIMM RAM 1 GB G 1G DDR MEMORY SDRAM. but because its SD ram i dont no if that would be ok for me ?
thanks

''4 x 240-pin DIMM, support max. 4GB DDR2 800/667/533 non-ECC,
un-buffered memory''

so you will need DDR2 sdram i believe

In technical terms, the full name of DDR2 RAM is actually called DDR2 SDRAM. Your conflicting terminology is actually a mix-up of the same thing.

There are only two things in your situation that you need to worry about when finding RAM to fit your mobo.

1. Make sure the RAM is DDR2 240-pin (this will ensure that it physically fits).
2. Make sure you get RAM speed that your motherboard supports (this will ensure that there are no compatibility issues).

What is your motherboard manufacturer and model? You have listed your specs in your signature but left your your motherboard. Simply Google-ing the motherboard name will get the info on what memory it supports. One way to find out is downloading CPU-Z HERE. Run it, and look under the "Mainboard" tab.

mitch04 said:

That part is confusing. First it says it is DDR2-800MHz but then the other half of it says that it's DDR (not to mention it repeats "1GB" yet again). Did you accidentally paste the specs of two products?

If the label of your current memory says PC2-5300 then you'd be best off getting the same thing. Search for DDR2 667MHz PC2-5300 memory.
This way, you're sure it will work.

Good luck.

You're kidding, right?
No name value ram.
Australia might be ok for people from Australia
Very high shipping costs.
Enormously high negative feed back rating with 1792 negatives so far...
Better prices at the top ten US sites, and lower shipping costs, plus high quality memory with names you know and trust.
www.zipzoomfly.com is free shipping in US, but I suppose there is a charge to Australia... www.Kahlon.com is free shipping, www.crucial.com is often free shipping. www.directron.com is not free, but reasonable, and lifetime warranty.
I would not buy any value ram, and no ram that did not have a lifetime warranty. Most eBay memory is from places you will never be able to enforce warranty promises.

mitch04 said:
oh kk so i will buy the pc2 -5300 the samething http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1GB-PC5300-D...yZ111425QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting you recon $50 for it. something else thats strange is that when i used the cpuz it recons its 400mhz i thought it would be 600mhz?

thanks alot for all the help

but that is still unbranded stuff ? which is also coming from hong kong and has a nasty feedback rate

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CORSAIR-1GB-...QQihZ020QQcategoryZ111425QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

pay extra for something like that, its corsair and they have 100% feedback

kk so you recon thats a good price and could you just tell me if i get another 1gb would i be ready for vista soon ? because im gonna go buy it when all the direct x 10 games start to come out?
thanks

thats about the cheapest i can find a good branded name for on ebay. do they not have any good online computer stores in australia?

can u show the site again just shows umart. UPDATED k found it which one u recon better single or 2 and one more thing will that fit my it only says PC5300 not pc2 5300?

thanks

Get two sticks of memory. Your motherboard supports dual-channel memory.
This means that with two sticks of RAM, it will run 15%-20% faster than the same amount on one stick of RAM.
Think of it as heavy traffic running on two lanes as opposed to one.
If you are getting 1GB, then get 2x512MB.
If you are getting 2GB, then get 2x1024MB.

It doesn't matter if it says PC5300 instead of PC25300. It means the same thing (5300 MB/s bandwidth).

If you want cheap quality RAM, then there are a few brands that have good budget-priced products. To name a few:
Kingston ValueRAM
OCZ Value
Corsair ValueSelect

It's always best to get good memory from a good brand, because the cheaper stuff from a generic brand will more than likely cause stability problems and BSODs.

If you are a design artist, or a gamer, Stay away from anything with "Value" in the name. That is different memory that is made in different plants to varying standards and is often not made by the same manufacturer. It has different latency standards, and is always slower than the full featured ram... thus the lower cost. It is also almost always made from barrels of untested chips. The warranty is still good, but you are the quality control who sends it back when it doesn't work.

k thanks every just one more question will it still be alright my 1gb in the computer with the 2 x 512mb? thanks alot

Yes, it will be alright... However for intensive gaming, you want all the memory the same brand, model, and size... minor differences though in yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back