Notebook doesn't recognize new hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to put a new hard drive in a:
HP Pavilion ze5170 laptop
the new hard drive is:
Hitachi Travelstar 80GB 4200RPM

It will not recognize this new hard drive. When I pulled the old one out i noticed that the connectors look a bit different (new drive is ata 6, laptop is ultra DMA 100). Is this hard drive just not compatible or am I missing something? When I go into setup it is on auto detect and says none. No jumper. This is the only hard drive.
Hope this is enough info. Please help!

candra78 said:
I am trying to put a new hard drive in a:
HP Pavilion ze5170 laptop
the new hard drive is:
Hitachi Travelstar 80GB 4200RPM

It will not recognize this new hard drive. When I pulled the old one out i noticed that the connectors look a bit different (new drive is ata 6, laptop is ultra DMA 100).
It may be one of 2 possibilities. You say the connectors look different; The old drive probably has an IDE Adapter Plug on the standard 44pin Interface to adapt it to the HP board. Pull it from the old drive and install it on the new. That should get it recognized, but if not, older laptops (at least Dells do) have a problem with drives larger than 60gb. UDMA6/ATA-6 is the same as ATA133, but they are backward compatible to what ever the board will support, so it would run at UDMA5/ATA-5/ATA100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back