notebook problems with drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Sony Viao model PCG-FRV26 notebook and recently had an incident when water fell out of a large mug and spilled on the computer. It ceased working for about a month altogether. Then when it finally worked after almost giving in to sending it to a shop. It would run with a lot of problems and the startup time was incredibly long. I figured it had driver/software problems so i picked up a copy of win xp pro and reinstalled windows. it worked great with the exception of a loss of speed, the integrated video adapter refuses to play any games, and the DVD drive reads only as a cd drive. I can understand that there is a connection to the water damage in this insance but there must be some thing i can do to restore what i can without sending it in. i visited the manufacturer of the dvd drive, qsi, and they claim to have a driver thats perfect but when i downloaded it it did nothing. I need some sujestions on what i might need to do. Working drivers and any hardware solutions would be ahuge help. Thanks.

-Rick

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

I have a customer with a dell laptop that did the samething.
Most laptops are not that hard to take a part.
I had her pull the battery and any panels on the bottom, then
pull the top keyboard panel. Using compressed air to blow water/liquid
out as best as possible. Then leave it to dry naturally, 1 1/2wks.
Her system survived.

In your case, since you've given your laptop suffecient time to dry out.
I would have you disasemble the same way (as far down as you can).
Pull the ram, video, dvd, hdd, cpu etc. if you can.
Get some contact cleaner and canned air, comes in an aerosol can.
You'll want to use them simultainiously to clean and dry all surfaces and contacts.

This can and does work, however on a dificulty scale of 1 to 10,
10=hardest, this is an 8 1/2.
The fall back failure is any short outs your system got at the time of spill,
that may have damaged some thing. Water is not the greatest conductor
but it can short circut things.

G'Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back