Notebooks and IRQs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metallix6403

Sup every one!

I just got a notebook from my girlfriend since she got a new one and its a Dell Inspiron 5100 P4. I decided to clean it up and get it up to date to install some of my games on it. I started to play the simple games first like Starcraft and Diablo II. They run great, as expected, but once I log on to battle.net the system gets held up and just freezes.

I looked through the system and I couldnt find anything that could really effect the performance that much but then I went to device manager I discovered the problem. XP decided to keep the video card, sound card, cardbus unit and my wireless card (which plugs into the cardbus) all on the same IRQ number. I love the XP OS but for God sakes, putting all the essential parts for online gaming on the same IRQ!?!?!?!?!? Whats then happening is the system is is getting hogged up by hardware interrupts and DPCs.

I know I can fix this issue on a desktop by moving the PCI cards around but on a notebook thats out of the question. My only option is disabling the ACPI to a standard computer and moving the IRQs manually. However I want to keep the PnP and Power options still active. Also I dont feel like using up my whole weekend by reinstalling XP and change the HAL.

So my question is can I turn off the ACPI, change the IRQ numbers, then revert back to a ACPI computer? Or will reactivating the ACPI cause the system to just move the devices back to thier origional IRQs?

Sorry for the long post but this is really messing with my head and I cant seem to find the answer. Thanks in advance! Great forum!

Sorry for another bump but I havent been able to find a solution to my problem....

Once again my question is can I turn off the ACPI, change the IRQ numbers, then revert back to a ACPI computer? Or will reactivating the ACPI cause the system to just move the devices back to thier origional IRQs? Thanks

Still no joy.....

Hey every one, I still cant get these hardware interrupts and DPCs to go away. I know that the main issue is with my network card. Ive searched on other forums and also the Microsoft data base for my question on the ACPI but I cant find a diffinitive answer.

Please help me!!!! Pretty much anything with internet functions will hog the system. Still lookin for answers and any advice on shuting the ACPI off will be appreciatied. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back