Nothing starts on bootup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray

Hi

The power supply blew and it's been changed with a new one but when you turn on the computer nothing happens. No lights, no beeps, no nothing. I put the new PSU into another computer and it works fine. Where should I start with my testing? It's an EliteGroup ECS K7SEM motherboard

Ray

I fear that when your psu blew, it`s taken your ram/mobo and possibly the cpu as well.

Test your ram in another system. Take your cpu to your local pc repair shop and have them test it for you, this will only cost a few dollars.

If your ram and cpu checkout ok, then I`m afraid it`s probably your mobo that`s dead.

Regards Howard :)

First, sorry this happened to you.

Cheap generic power supplies that come with a new pc from Dell, Compaq, HP, etc are just that, cheap. And they arent built with what is needed to protect the rest of the pc when they blow up. Worse, you expect and rely upon a decent power supply from brand-name pc mfgrs but you dont get it! Good quality power supplies have better protection built into them so when they blow up they dont take the rest of the system with them. So, as howard_hopkinso pointed out, all these parts have to be tested to see if they are ok.

I'm only mentioning this so that you might start with a good quality power suppy when you start putting together a pc with whatever parts you have left that work. Plus, whoever reads this and doesnt know will go out and get a good power supply for their pc, lol.
Hopefully you will be able to re-use some of your hardware.

By the way, there is good info at Directron.com on how to pick a good power supply and you can get a decent unit at places like directron.com and newegg.com for under $40.

Thanks for the info. At least now I have only a bit to checkout. Not like it could be anything....:) Some will think of this as a tragedy but I think of it as gaining experience.

Integrated CPU ?

Hi

Is the CPU in this K7SEM board integrated in the motherboard? I have seen quite a few cpus an never like this one. I can't figure out how to remove it and it's stripped to the bare bones and out of the case as well. Is this possible or am I missing something? Bottom line is I have taken the PSU and mobo out of the case and the only thing in the mobo was the cpu, heatsink and the fan and then I plugged it in and nothing at all started so I guess it's the cpu or the mobo. I still would like to know if this cpu is part of the mobo. I was going to show a picture but I don't seem to be allowed to....) If anyone wants to see a picture of this mobo just let me know and I send it to you.

Yes, it would seem that your mobo does indeed have an onboard cpu.

That`s a real shame. Maybe your local pc repair shop will be able to advise you.

My advice would be to buy a new mobo and cpu. That is, a mobo that doesn`t have an integrated cpu.

Regards Howard :)

Um...actually it's a good thing for me because I was trying to repair this computer for a work aquaintance. I have a lot of spare parts in my storage but unfortunately I don't have any mobos...I guess sooner or later they will be selling a totally integrated computer that you will not be able to upgrade at all. If the price is cheap then people will still buy it though. Pay a little more and get value for your money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back